Author Topic: access to large supply of live bamboo, what can i do with it?  (Read 2450 times)

Offline ohiocountryboy

access to large supply of live bamboo, what can i do with it?
« on: August 09, 2012, 05:44:50 am »
My buddy's back yard is filled with dang near nothin but bamboo up to about 18 foot, i can cut what ever i want but i dont know anything about bamboo other then how to make a killer cane pole lol. What all can i do with it and how do u prepare it? What about seasoning? Is my best bet using a bandsaw  on it?

Offline tom sawyer

Re: access to large supply of live bamboo, what can i do with it?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 09:48:46 am »
What kind of diameter?  Under an inch makes great atlatl darts. With 2" or more you might split, flatten and thin and back a narrow bow.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline ohiocountryboy

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 04:45:13 pm »
What is an atlatl dart?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 05:15:50 pm »
Bamboo has to be one of the most versatile plants there is as far as archery stuff is concerned.

Just google search atlatl dart.

You can use bamboo for arrows, bow backing, laminated bows (100% bamboo), and probably other stuff I can think of right now.   ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 08:28:32 am »
Bamboo has some natural aspects that are great for MANY primitive skills. The hollow middle and segregated growths make for great primitive tea straining straws, also called bombillas. simply cut below node on top of straw and just under node on bottom, leaving a closed end. poke or drill tiny holes all around bottom end of straw, acting as a strainer. you can then use this straw to drink unfiltered coffee or tea!
i also use bamboo for my bow drill bows. i cut a piece that is just stout enough to not bend easily, but enough to give a little, remove all shoots from it except those on very top and bottom of bow. i make the bow as long as my fingertips to my elbow. the small pieces of shoots i leave on act as great anchors for the ends of my cordage. i then take a piece of old leather, cut it in a spiral fashion, twist into single ply twist cordage and voila, amazing light weight and durable friction fire bow!, i also wrap excess leather on handle end of my bow to create a leather ended drum mallet.
you can also make friction fire in the form of a fire saw with bamboo!
jsut cut a bnch down, store it in an upright stance for a couple months while it dries. once it is golden in color you're ready to rock!
"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." Emerson

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 01:28:43 pm »
check out erik the flute maker - he specializes in bamboo flutes.  The Cherokee made blow guns from river cane - bamboo should work the same way.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 05:50:05 pm »
any in diameter 3" +? now yr talking quivers too!
wild women don't get the blues