Author Topic: 69" NTN Hickory Long/Flatbow  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Peacebow_Coos

69" NTN Hickory Long/Flatbow
« on: August 08, 2012, 07:08:31 pm »
Hi guys, haven't posted in awhile, been busy but here goes.  This is from some lumber I got a while back.  1.5" wide at the handle straight taper to just over 1/2"tips.  It's 7/8" thick at the handle and ends up just under 1/2" at the tips.  Antler overlays, backed with a bedsheet of unknown origin and some burlap for looks(and because my bedsheet stopped short :).  It pulls around 60#@27" and flings one pretty good.  I'm giving it to my buddy who jsut started hunting compound bow and he's pretty excited about it.  It did take about 1.5" set in both limbs, and I had heard this isn't the best design for Hickory but it's what I had and I'm pretty satisfied with it.  Took forever to get it to start dropping weight though with that scraper(glass).  Anyways, thanks for lookin, and all your posts that give me inspiration and knowledge. 
S.Sprague

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
Re: 69" NTN Hickory Long/Flatbow
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 07:52:54 pm »
Pretty cool bow, and good draw weight.  Creative backing materials  :).

I know the bow is done, but on the next one, I'd round the edges. Square edges are always at risk of lifting a splinter.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 10:00:47 pm »
Looks like you did a fine job. Nice work!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 07:09:01 am »
I would also definately round the edges off. It will only take 10 mins and could mean the bow stays in one piece for years to come.
Hickory responds well to heat treating, try doing it when just the hint of the first bit of set shows. Then finish tillering and do it again. If you've gained any weight then trap the back and round the belly edges a little to get to target weight.

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 01:34:00 pm »
Thanks guys, I was wondering about that, I just barely rounded 'em cause I wanted to keep it as flat as possible, but I will on the next one for sure.  Thanks mikekeswick, I wasn't sure about heat treating it with the titebond and bedsheet already on it as I glued it up almost immediately after cutting it out.  I will with the lams I have made up though, thanks for the feedback guys! :)