Author Topic: Looking for ideas on staining My new ash flatbow.  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Ragi

Looking for ideas on staining My new ash flatbow.
« on: August 08, 2012, 11:39:42 pm »
Heya

I am finish shooting this beaut before sanding to make sure the tiller wont change and am thinking about how to stain and finish it. It is 69 inches ntn, 60 lbs at 29 inches draw and the White Ash grain is breath taking, especially where the heart wood flows into the handle. It is a very basic flat bow design with a bulbous carved handle to fit my fingers. I am naming it Asha, after the first man created by the gods in Norse mythology.

I am a bit of a technophobe so pics are an issue but I am working on it. Ok here is the facebook gallery https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151345183470523.822573.750005522&type=3 I know the lower limb is a teensy bit stiffer than the upper. all mine are, it shoots better for me.

I saw someone do a nice oil stain where he back looked like it had been backed with brown paper and I loved the texture. I dont want to mess up the grain but some color wont hurt. The Back is so white and plain it is pretty but boring.

If folks could post some pics or suggestions I would be grateful.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 03:58:21 pm by Ragi »
Ragi WarmBear
ragi@brokenaxe.ca
Montreal Quebec Canada

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Looking for ideas on staining My new ash flatbow.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 11:42:25 pm »
I like the look of Minwax's Red Oak stain on ash.  My first bow 10 years ago got that finish.  Plus about 20 coats of tung oil.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 11:58:09 pm »
Finely ground charcoal rubbed into the grain gives ash and hickory a nice look. IMO.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 12:28:24 am »
It's not primitive, but RIT clothing dye mixed with alcohol works pretty good.  You can mix the different colors together and make about any shade you want.  Whatever you decide on, test it on a scrap piece first.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 04:11:13 am »
The good thing with dying ash is the you get a great contrast between the very porous earlywood and the latewood. Personally I like a dark spirit based dye.