Author Topic: Galactus (ERC Bow)  (Read 9639 times)

Offline RyanY

Galactus (ERC Bow)
« on: August 07, 2012, 10:22:17 pm »
This bow is from a piece of ERC that was a gift from PaulN/KS at MOJam this year. Started on it there and finally got it finished up.  I call it Galactus the Marvel comic book villan because of the purplish color, the knots remind me of stars, and also it's quite a stout bow and fills the hand.  The knots were almost all soft in the middle with the exception of a large one about half way up one of the limbs so I filled them with osage plugs which was a first.  The bow is rawhide backed, also a first. Tips are osage and bone.  69"ntn, 80#@29", width at handle 1 1/2", thickness at handle, 1 3/8", width at tips 5/8", thickness at tips 5/8", about 1 1/2" of set.  Knowing the reputation that ERC has I was extremely nervous while making this bow but I'm really happy with how it turned out.  The string I made is a little long for it so the brace is lower than I'd like it to be. Hope I made you proud Paul! Thanks for looking!

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: Galactus (ERC Bow)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 10:25:09 pm »
Nice! Those osage plugs look neat and that ERC is soooo pretty....gotta try me some for sure!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline RyanY

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 10:29:37 pm »
Here are a few pics from before I filled the knots and backed it.
Back

Belly

Plugs before they were shaped

Franken bow all plugged up

What I find interesting in this last pic is that you can see the knots all point close to the same direction so I could tell which part was towards the upper half of the tree.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 10:33:57 pm »
Man, that is cool how you plugged them holes. I always just fill em with beeswax. Your way is 1000 times better though, really pretty bow. I love cedar. I love cedar guitars, I love cedar chests, I love the smell of cedar period. I bet a cedar bow is just great.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Will H

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 11:00:00 pm »
Very cool :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 11:11:03 pm »
Very nice bow!  Love how it looks! Great idea to plug those knots!  Good job dude.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline coaster500

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 11:19:55 pm »
Excellent job with that ERC...  I bet it was tough to get those plugs smooth with out cutting into the ERC...  it's so soft compared to the Osage...

Very, very cool bow...  well done!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 11:30:36 pm »
Very nicely done bow Ryoon, great tips, cool work on the plugs, really sweet bend and the finish is polished man but......eh eh eh 80lbs, you must be eating your wheaties every day. Great bow.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 11:38:02 pm »
Thats pretty, and darn time consuming. :)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 11:40:01 pm »
WOW Ryan that looks great ! :)
You really nailed it with that stave. Sorry about all those knots but you really solved that problem with the plugs. The osage stands out against the cedar. Backing it was probably a prudent idea. It sure looks h*ll for stout, I can believe it draws 80#...
"Proud" , Yep I'm proud to know such a talented bow maker. ;D

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 11:43:08 pm »
Nice bend on it.  I like it, and it gives me inspiration for some of the ERC that I have waiting to be made into bows.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline KellyG

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 11:53:20 pm »
Wow that is a very nice looking bow.

Offline Shaun

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 12:37:55 am »
You NAILED that compass tiller and the osage Dutchmen are too cool. I'm seeing one of those special BOM hats in your future...

Offline RyanY

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 12:46:51 am »
Thanks for the kind words guys. It means a lot. :)

coaster 500, Almost all of the tillering was done with my belt sander and I didn't notice the plugs sticking out any more than the cedar while doing so.

Bradley Bent, I used to work on drawing those heavy bows a lot so this isn't too bad. Just the fact that it's ERC makes it more difficult to draw.  ;)

Paul, Thank you so much! I couldn't have made this bow without you (for obvious reasons). It was definitely a challenge and was a great learning experience. I hope you have the opportunity to see it in person next year.

Shaun, I appreciated the kind words but unfortunately I don't subscribe so I'm not in the running.  :-\

Offline Weylin

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 02:01:28 am »
That is a beautiful tiller, sir. well done.  8)