Author Topic: Plain Jane  (Read 8268 times)

Online JW_Halverson

Plain Jane
« on: August 07, 2012, 08:19:34 pm »
Since I reorganized the photobucket account I realized that a prior thread with this bow in the unfinished state wouldn't show the photos, so I thought I'd start a new thread with the finished photos added. 

Here's Plain Jane:

Doesn't she just look grape?

I left an extra growthring over the grip area because I had very little spare depth and I was worried it would not have a comfortable feel.

Now with the deerskin wrap and the usual glass trade bead:

Jane's got a little kink:

On the tillering stick with about 20" of draw

And for some reason I don't have a full draw pic...gotta rectify that I suppose.

And now for some background on why I put those trade beads on all my bows.  The bead is what is called a "flat watermelon bead".  It's obvious from the outside, but on the inside the bead has stripes of white and red as well.  These beads were made on the island of Murano, part of the city of Venice, Italy.  Only one family of glassblowers made this style of bead for the trade.  These beads are almost 200 yrs old and have not been made for 140 years.  Some made their way over to North America as part of the fur trade, but a vast majority went to Africa as part of the Slave Trade.  This particular bead was part of a collection purchased from West Africa some time back and was very likely part of a transaction involving the purchase of human beings.  I tie one of these beads to every bow I make and explain the source to the new owner.  It's a lesson in true value, it is there to remind us that no matter what we sell our freedoms for it isn't enough.  Freedoms are too expensive to buy back once sold, and often once sold you will soon realize you have nothing but a handful of cheap beads. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Plain Jane
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 09:12:52 pm »
Slick bow J-dub
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline xin

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 09:29:55 pm »
Beautiful bow and great craftsmanship on  a difficult piece of wood.  Thanks for posting.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 09:30:44 pm »
Jane looks nice in Plain.  Thanks for providing the background on those beads. 

How long is Jane?
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 09:47:43 pm »
Plain is good!! Jane looks mighty good to me! :laugh:
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline jmshaust

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 10:03:08 pm »
Plain Jane is great bow, nice tiller built to shoot.

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 10:10:08 pm »
thats really nice!

Offline johnston

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 10:11:29 pm »
Really like your work,sir. And might I add that it is great to see you posting them.

Deep on the beads, but I have come to expect no less from you. Thanks.

Lane

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 11:24:41 pm »
Sweet bow.  The simplicity is beautiful.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 11:51:03 pm »
For some reason I got the lyrics from Velvet Undergrounds song "sweet jane" singing thru my head  8)

Offline KellyG

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 12:01:11 am »
well I see nothing plane about that one.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 12:10:10 am »
I like that slightly kinky jane, knew some like her in the seventies. Sorry got sidetracked, oh yeah the bow is nice too, nice work, good tiller and I really like the handle work. Good lesson in the story behind the beads also.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Shaun

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 12:29:51 am »
Know what's wrong with that bow?    Nothing, absolutely nothing. Just my kinda bow, all function and nothing extra - well, the bead and story behind it maybe extra but in the good way. You can make my hunting bow any day!

PS - nice work around that clump of pin knots.

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 12:44:38 am »
Ain't nothing wrong with plain Jane's.  She's a beauty!  BTW, PM me your digits; might just stop by next time i'm in your neck of the woods.

Offline okie64

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 01:33:00 am »
Nice bow JW. Your handle work looks awesome. Never thought of leaving an extra ring on the back of the handle for thickness, might have to try that sometime.