Author Topic: Help with ash  (Read 2925 times)

Offline danlaw

Help with ash
« on: August 22, 2012, 03:59:44 am »
I've made a few ash bows which are tough tough tough, but they seem to take quite a bit of set. I'd like to make more as I have wood handy. Is there a cure?

mikekeswick

Re: Help with ash
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 04:56:35 am »
Yes trap the back heavily. This makes a huge difference with any tension strong / compression weak wood. Narrow the back by a 1/4 compared with the belly.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 05:35:54 am »
Flat belly, trapped back, not too short (70" for a 28" draw flatbow) and maybe heat treat the belly. Ash also likes to be dry. No need to over-dry it, but it prefers a lower moisture content than most woods.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Holten101

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 06:54:16 am »
Flat belly, trapped back, not too short (70" for a 28" draw flatbow) and maybe heat treat the belly. Ash also likes to be dry. No need to over-dry it, but it prefers a lower moisture content than most woods.

I second that.

Also ash tends to suck up moisture like a sponge.

Cheers

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 10:28:28 am »
What is your draw length and poundage do you want? How much set are they taking? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 12:42:42 pm »
Temper, temper and temper.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline danlaw

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 08:22:31 pm »
Now that is some good advice! The heaveiest one I have is a longbow, 68" 52# (original poundage, now a little less). It is about a year old and has taken a 2" set. Cross section is rectangle. So, trap the back back temper and seal. Done deal. Thanks guys.

Offline danlaw

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 08:46:58 pm »
Yes trap the back heavily. This makes a huge difference with any tension strong / compression weak wood. Narrow the back by a 1/4 compared with the belly.
I take it that ash is good for backing then? I can certainly use a good cheap backing supply.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 11:41:53 pm »
The spring wood of ash growth rings is very soft. That's another reason I make nothing but pyramid design. With pyramid, the thickness is uniform for the length of the limb. With limbs that taper in thickness, there is a series of places where the spring wood is at the surface and is subject to the full compression force of  bending.

I believe the spring wood in the latter case is where the undesirable set takes place.

Just my two cents.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline danlaw

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 02:15:41 am »
Thanks Jim. I have an ash pyramid that I started at the same time as the longbow. I put it away without finishing it and went on to other stuff. I'll dig it out of the pile and finish it off.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 06:43:31 am »
Some ash seems great and other ash can be wubbish.

Long and wide seems to fit the bill. Just tried a short ish ash bow stiff handle and about 65 1.5 inch for most of the limb, heat treated and could do nothing to avoid set and eventually one limb chrystaled. Not wide enough, not long enough.

Offline autologus

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 05:23:04 pm »
I'm working on a short 55" T2T bow from a rake handle, its about 1 1/4 wide at the handle and straight tapers to half inch tips.  I want to flip the tips but since I read that is is weak on compression I guess I need to heat treat the belly.  Do I toast the belly before or after flipping the tips?  It is going to be about 30# draw for my daughter.  I am using it as quarter sawn.
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline danlaw

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 08:15:49 pm »
Well, I picked up a couple planks so I am going to try to solve the riddle.