Author Topic: Oceanspray Bow for my Boy  (Read 4855 times)

Offline Weylin

Oceanspray Bow for my Boy
« on: August 07, 2012, 05:17:26 pm »
My son Ronan just turned 3 years old in July. My plan was to have a vine maple bow ready for his birthday but I made a stupid mistake and broke it. The other day, Carson (CMB), gave me a little ocean spray sapling to make a new bow with. I got this done in a couple of days. I'm pretty pleased with the outcome. It's a snappy little shooter and Ronan is having a blast with it.

Still working on his full draw form...  ;D

There we go  8)

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: Oceanspray Bow for my Boy
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 05:36:55 pm »
Nice work Weylin!  I can't let Taylor and Keaton see this or they are gonna start complaining about my lack of finish work on their bows  ;D.  Looks like he is really happy with it.  I see you are making sure he is a south paw just like his dad...poor kid >:D
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 07:56:35 pm »
Really sweet little bow there Weylin, all the details and finish work look great, bet its a shooter too. Is the back the bark of the sapling?
You did a nice job, I'm sure your son will cherish that bow.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 08:02:05 pm »
Nice work Weylin!  I can't let Taylor and Keaton see this or they are gonna start complaining about my lack of finish work on their bows  ;D.  Looks like he is really happy with it.  I see you are making sure he is a south paw just like his dad...poor kid >:D
i keep telling everyone, God made some of us perfect, the rest of y'all are right handed >:D
realy nice bow Welin, i've got a pc of O.S. i need to make a bow, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 08:25:24 pm »
Nice job! that looks great! You did a nice job on the handle wrap and the whole package!!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 09:52:48 pm »
I'm sure he'll be out shooting Dad in no time. Oh and there ain't nothing wrong with southpaws, CMB! ;)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 11:32:16 pm »
Priceless.  He's got a great dad! 

Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline KellyG

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 12:06:31 am »
nice bow and boy.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 12:07:49 am »
He had that "shooting in the bow" form at first!  Its fun to watch kids figure out a bow, thanks for sharing.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline coaster500

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 01:50:44 am »
That's so cool and the bow is cool to ;)

:laugh: :laugh: really very nice job on that one !!!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline driftingrz

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 02:01:12 am »
looks great to me, what are the "stats" if you dont mind me asking.. lenght/draw etc.. im nearly finished with my first bow and would like to make a stickbow from my 6yo nephew.. ween him away from those pulleys and cables hes been shootin ;) ive tried searching but havent found much info for child bows. is there any store bought wood good for a childs board bow? or should i go out and harvest a sapling? not sure what local (north GA) woods would be best suited for a smaller bow...

also a quick question. how did you do the leather arrow rest. was the leather wetformed around something first?

sorry if im hijacking. maybe i can get more help if it stop lurking and post more :)

Offline Weylin

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 02:11:52 am »
You're not hijacking at all, I'll answer the questions the best I can. It is 50" ntn which is overbuilt for his 15" draw length but I figured that I could pike it, reflex it and heat treat it later as he gets stronger so it might last a few years. I'm not sure what the weight is, I just kept telling him to see if he could draw it and then I'd go back and take a little more wood off and try again until he could handle it. My guess is that it's somewhere between 5-10# at 15". As for wood to make your own I'm not sure what to tell you for georgia. I found the sapling really easy to work and tiller. It was my first sapling bow. So I would recommend that for what it's worth. Hopefully someone from the SE will chime in and point you in the right direction.

the hand wrap is John Strunk's style. he uses a filed down golf tee for the arrow rest. that's glued to the side of the bow and then the leather is wrapped around that using barge cement to form it around the tee. It works great, I do it on almost all of my bows.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 02:28:24 am by Weylin »

Offline driftingrz

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 02:15:58 am »
i appreciate it, definately gonna use that idea as an arrow rest in the future. im still learning. i know i measured my nephews compound a few weeks back and it drawed to about 13lbs before hitting the letoff and it held around 8-9. so he should have no problem with a sapling. guess i just need to source out the right wood.

thanks for the help

Offline Josh B

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 03:35:37 am »
That looks a little better suited for him than the last bow that I seen him draw.  Nice work.  Josh

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 08:07:01 am »
Sweet little bow and just plane love the pictures, brings back memories.Thanks. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good