Author Topic: I know this is the wrong place for this but....  (Read 14345 times)

Offline Easternarcher

I know this is the wrong place for this but....
« on: September 16, 2007, 06:01:08 pm »
If your daughter(s) and/or wife told you they didn't like the trophy mounts on the wall and all teh magazines, or videos of hunting and archery...then told you they had to go, would you remove said mounts from the den, quit hunting, and or remove all hunting paraphenalia to a distance room or basement, just to make THEM happy?

Maybe depends on the situation I know...my two girls have used it as excuse not to visit me anymore....this may get pulled but I'd like a concenus as to how you all would handle it.

Offline Kegan

Re: I know this is the wrong place for this but....
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 06:24:56 pm »
If your daughter(s) and/or wife told you they didn't like the trophy mounts on the wall and all teh magazines, or videos of hunting and archery...then told you they had to go, would you remove said mounts from the den, quit hunting, and or remove all hunting paraphenalia to a distance room or basement, just to make THEM happy?

Maybe depends on the situation I know...my two girls have used it as excuse not to visit me anymore....this may get pulled but I'd like a concenus as to how you all would handle it.

Sounds like it's an uphill battle. It's probably just an excuse, and I feel for you man, but I don't think you can win. Once that's gone, it'll be something else. It'll always be something else. If it isn't though, try leaving your stuff at a buddy or family member's place. "Out of sight, out of mind" as they say.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 06:36:47 pm »
That's a toughy!! I don't have an answer, Hopefully ya'll will find a happy medium somewhere :-\.

When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 06:41:14 pm »
That depends,
Are they asking this,due to it takeing over the decor of the hiouse and is it cluttering?If that is the case,then if they live there too,its only fair.If it is for Pollitical reasons,then that is a different story.Were you a hunter,and had this stuff,before said Wife?If so,then thats who you were when she met ya,and she can deal with it.If she cant,then ,It was nice knowin ya.My first wife,tried to change who i was to suit her new friends and their Ideals.Hence the Ex,in her Title.

jamie

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 08:12:00 pm »
talk to them and tell em how much that stuff means to ya.  but if it means losing your kids then lose the heads. kids are more important then collecting a bunch of crap. as for quitin hunting. no way . id slow down but not quit. there would have to be compromise. peace

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 08:23:43 pm »
I have to agree with Traxx and Jamie.  My family is the most important part of my life.  Having said that,  the reason for them asking you to remove it is important.  I would certainly remove them from the den or family areas.  I have a filing system for all my magazines I wish to keep. They stay in the cabinet in the garage.  Only the last couple of issues of PA are inside my night stand drawer. Nobody asked me to move them out, but I could see it was clutter like Traxx said.  I could give away all my hunting equipment and heads and magazines, but the hunter would still be inside the house, only the symptoms would be gone.  I would ask for them to decide on an area where I can display my trophies and be myself.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

brian melton

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 08:36:07 pm »
               I got the impression the girls don't live with you??? If what brings you pleasure, and is a great part of your life isn't respected.....then I personally wouldn't be seeing my kids for a while!!! I would explain I loved them, and don't want to offend them in any way BUT.... they MUST except you for who, and what you are (a hunter)......to give in would in my opinion, would be to concede to doing something wrong....unless you feel you are???? Is there a wife that does not agree with hunting??? If she in using this as a way to make you bend to her belief system...I personally would be very upset!!!

Brian
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 08:41:06 pm by brian melton »

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 08:43:55 pm »
Boys, I've already moved the heads to a spare room that's my bow building shop off the house....but as one of you already said, they've already found somthing else to lever against me. I never exposed them to the dead game I brought home, or asked them to eat it at the table, so that's not it.

Yes, I was a hunter LOOOONG before she came into the picture, and she is now also gone, for other reasons..I never had the chance to expose my girls to the things I enjoy...not just hunting, but archery itself, fishing, camping, the GREAT OUTDOORS, etc.

It's a long sad story, and I wish they would accept me for me, but no..Uphill battle, oooohhhh yeah!
Sorry, don't mean to dampen the pre-season excitement....

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 09:48:55 pm »
It sounds like to me and my wife like you are dealing with a controlling,manipulated person.I'm sorry to hear your children are caught up in the middle of it.Maybe on visitation days you could ,Slowly,introduce them to walks in the woulds and dealing with nature.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 10:29:09 pm »
It sounds like to me and my wife like you are dealing with a controlling,manipulated person.I'm sorry to hear your children are caught up in the middle of it.Maybe on visitation days you could ,Slowly,introduce them to walks in the woulds and dealing with nature.

Well Mullet, I tried that too! Also tried to get them to go fishing here at the river or even canoeing....they about flipped their collective lids.

ANyway...I don't want to use this forum as a "crying shoulder". It's just very frustrating that they don't accept or want to see what it is that Dad loves so much in the woods...Thanks for listening.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 10:57:17 pm »
May I ask how old these daughters are? If they are adults, then i'm sorry but they would just have to accept me for who I am. Who you are has been no secret to them and they shouldn't expect yoou to change.
 If these are children, than that's a different story all together. If you don't have custody of them and there mother is against you and what you do... Oh brother. As hard as it may be to accept, this is a battle that you will likely loose.
 All you can do is slooowy introduce the beauty of the outdoors and the idea of hunting to them. Try to explain the cycle of life and that all things are put here by GOD for us to use responsibly. All the while preparing yourself for the possibility that they may never see things your way.
  I wish you the best, Shannon Walker
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

a finnish native

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 04:54:54 am »
my sister has the same kind of problem with my father. he is a hunter and has trophys in HIS house where I visit as often as I can. My sister is 13 now and says she can't sleep because of the moose horns on the wall in another room. I know it's not about it, but saying that it is is ridiculous.
I feel for ya man. the earth remains.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 05:57:16 am »
I have to agree that my family is the most important thing to me but also the way I figure it is if they love me as much as I love them they will have to understand,I put up with there stuff so
they would just have to put up with mine.Thank goodness I have never had that problem.I do
have a sister in law that won't come to my house because of my heads and stuff,but that is a good thing. ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 09:52:00 am »
Kegan is right. There's more of a dynamic going on here than your hunting and things related to it. I think you need to get some help.  See a counselor. The relationship between you and your daughters is worth going the "extra mile". It sure sounds like that is important to you. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 10:27:32 am »
Maybe it wouldnt hurt to  put into writing explaining to them what the great out doors-hunting means to you  an d maybe tie that into something they feel strongly about and maybe find some common ground. Good luck. Auggie.
laugh. its good for ya