Author Topic: Dimensions for bow nr 2  (Read 2889 times)

Offline NeillU

Dimensions for bow nr 2
« on: July 25, 2012, 08:19:00 am »
Hi guys

I need some pro advice on dimensions for my hickory backed african rosewood bow. At the moment it is about 1 3/4 at fades, fading pyramid shape down to 5/8 at tips. Its about 69" ntn, and has got plenty of meat left on the rosewood core for tillering. Hickory backing is about 3/16 thick, bit less. The core tapers from about 1/2" at fades to 1/4" at tips. The riser (handle) section is still way to big and need to be worked on so ignore that :P
Planning on a 55#'ish or so.

My thinking is, narrowing it down to about 1 1/2" from taper, down to 3/8" at tips, then commence with tillering on belly only from there.

Any suggestions would be nice, just want to know if I'm on the right track.
Haastige hond, verbrand sy mond! :P

Offline Hrothgar

Re: Dimensions for bow nr 2
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 09:26:26 am »
Narrowing the width down to 1 1/2", and the tips too, is a good start. You have quite a bit of wood to work with.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 10:54:53 am »
Looks like a nice glue-up! Sweet profile and really cool tip overlays. Should make a nice bow.
Your suggestion for the width profile sounds good. This is the time to make sure the tips allign perfectly straight. You still have some room for adjustment; make sure you reduce the width of the correct side, as to get the tips perfectly straight over the handle. 1½" tapering to 3/8" sounds great.

That hickory looks a bit wavey on the upper limb. But maybe the grain looks worse in the pic than it actually is?

By the way, that signature at the bottom of your post is pretty weird. I'm Dutch, so I can read South-African pretty well. But I've never heard of that proverb. What does it mean?
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline NeillU

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 11:33:46 am »
Thanks peeps, good to know I'm heading in the right direction!

Darksoul that grain isnt perfect, but I've made a 1/16" thick backing from it so I'm hoping it will last on this bow too. And that saying means, "if you work too fast, your chance of messing up is good, so take your time" almost the same thing is "measure twice, cut once" lol

Will try and keep this post up to date with some photos!

Offline Eastman

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 04:50:34 am »
Haastige hond verbrand sy mond :P dis seker die beste van toepassing op boogmaak

That rosewood is real pretty..especially next to the whitish Hickory. Keep us updated (:
''The joy is great of him who strays, in shady woods on summer days, With eyes alert and muscles steady , His long-bow strung, his arrows ready''  -Maurice Thompson

Offline NeillU

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 05:00:17 am »
Defnetief haha

Thanks will do :)

Offline NeillU

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 08:34:07 am »
Some photos after many hours of work over the weekend. :) Came out really nice, not sure about the poundage, but it will be in the 55# range, only shot about 15 arrows. Took about 1/2" set after tillering and a few shots. Treating with some Linseed oil now, need to make a string to fit length still.

Offline NeillU

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 08:39:28 am »
Some shots taken while shooting.

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 08:56:46 am »
Looks like it turned out well for ya...I wood have shot it more than 15 times tho before sealing it....I have a minimum requirement of at least a hundred

Offline Eastman

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 07:36:52 am »
Great looking bow!! well done ;D

So you'd definitely give rosewood the thumbs up?
''The joy is great of him who strays, in shady woods on summer days, With eyes alert and muscles steady , His long-bow strung, his arrows ready''  -Maurice Thompson

Offline NeillU

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 04:03:05 am »
Thanks Eastman, ya African Rosewood looks like it can produce a pretty damn nice bow! Going to start the next one soon, normal flat bow style.