Author Topic: How do they kill 'em?  (Read 4539 times)

Offline johnston

How do they kill 'em?
« on: August 05, 2012, 04:04:35 pm »
If an animal control officer is called to an animal/vehicle collision and
the animal is not dead but beyond repair what is the method of
dispatching the animal?  Ain't good at sending links but if it works
this is what prompted the question.

Lane
http://www.zulily.com/p/cobalt-short-haul-diaper-backpack--20112-1332589.html

Offline johnston

Offline TRACY

Re: How do they kill 'em?
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 06:58:05 pm »
Not sure what they do where you're at, but many nuisance control guys are required to have a euthanasia chamber(lidded barrel with co2 hose) in the vehicle to dispatch certain species. With domestic pets etc, they probably just try to deliver to a local vet. Sounds like this area needs some immediate removals of feral dogs!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 07:14:20 pm »
My father-in-law had a deer end up in his yard after being hit by a car late one evening.  A local policeman came and shot the deer with his handgun and then left.  My father-in-law can't even watch a fish being fileted so he went inside while the officer shot the deer.  When he went out the next morning the deer was still in his yard and still alive.  The officer didn't even check to make sure he had killed it. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 07:47:04 pm »
Usually don't have that problem around where I live. If you hit a deer, hog, or gator and it's fresh, it doesn't take long for someone to load and clean it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cracker

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 10:42:49 pm »
Bout the same around here Eddie plus the cops are almost all hunters and are more adept at ending suffering. Sometimes they even call me. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline johnston

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 12:13:36 am »
But what about dogs? And without a death chamber in the truck what do they use?

Flopping dog on the road...ball peen hammer, .22, knife, ice pick, what?

Lane

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 09:06:11 am »
9mm
Lakeland, Florida

Offline seabass

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 05:44:47 pm »
herein ohio i have seen deer put down with thier sevice pistol.then if you want the deer they will write you a recipt so you can get it processed without a tag.my buddy hit the deer.we had a slug gun in the truck.my friend offered to let the officer use it.the policeman said that he had to use his own gun.it took two shots from his nine mil.probably would have been more humane with the slug gun,go figure.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 05:55:26 pm »
I put one down with a hammer with a game officer watching.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline johnston

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 06:08:00 pm »
A hammer was my first thought Eddie. I have seen many cows and hogs
cleanly dispatched by little old men in overalls.

Lane

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 09:50:49 pm »
All this talk about finishing off deer reminded me of an incident with a former neighbor one fall.  My sister called me about a guy walking towards her house with a gun.  I grabbed a shotgun and ran out to investigate.  It turned out the guy was renting the house out the lane and asked if any of us had shot a deer next to the road while riding a quad.  I told him that it wasn't us.  He pointed to a small doe that was flopping around in a field next to the road.  We walked over and saw that she had been shot in the spine and her back legs were useless.  He said that he would finish it off and take the meat since he hadn't shot a deer yet this season.  I noticed he had a muzzleloader so I offered to do the deed with my shotgun so he wouldn't have to clean his gun.  He said that he wanted to do it.  The guy put the end of the barrel about 4" from the deers head.  It was at this point that I started backing up real fast.  Did I mention that the guy was wearing white sweat pants and white sweatshirt?  When he fired the shot the deers head nearly split in half.  Blood started squirting up in the air from it.  The guys white outfit was now covered in blood.  He started dry heaving and I couldn't help but start laughing.  I wished him luck with it and went back home.  The guy was supposedly a big time deer hunter. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Brock

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 10:24:10 pm »
deer hit in front of my house last year...cops called as car was damaged and young teen female was shook up.  cops showed and asked if I wanted the deer...a big fat doe.  asked them to call DNR so I could get something in writing saying it was road kill and not taken out of season...but DNR was too busy to come out.  Cops asked if I would dispatch it so they would not have to shoot in the neighborhood and rile up the HOA...so cut her throat then popped neck to put out of misery.

dragged her into swamp behind house to feet nature.....as they are pretty strict about out of season kills here and was not trusting that a note from law enforcement would suffice if DNR came around. 

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 11:18:10 pm »
I have a neighbor across the alley with a garage full of feral cats, at least 6 adults and unknown numbers of kittens.  I've found several of the kittens in the alley half eaten by the other cats.  Yup, it's that bad.  The best I can get from the city officials is that they will come pick up any strays I can trap. 

One neighbor has been trying to trap these cats all summer with no results.  Apparently someone had tried earlier and had one success...but the other cats learned.  I can hardly blame the cats, but I sure do blame the homeowner. 

Heck, I can't even train my kestrel in the backyard because one of the cats was stalking us!  Putting some serious thought to one of those high speed air rifles with the suppressor muzzle. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Stringman

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 02:05:09 pm »
JDub, can't you just use a bigger bird and... Go hunting?!!