Author Topic: Cave Man show - Billy Berger ?  (Read 6390 times)

Offline Little John

Cave Man show - Billy Berger ?
« on: August 05, 2012, 10:57:15 am »
Was that our very own Billy Berger I saw last night on the cave man experiment show? I think it was on the national geographic channel. I am just about sure it was and the best caveman of the bunch by far.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Will H

Re: Cave Man show - Billy Berger ?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 11:29:24 am »
Yeah it was! It aired the first time a while back. I think he posted to let everyone know about it in the announcement section. It was a pretty good show  :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 02:49:33 pm »
That show is a perfect example of why you don't go into the woods with just anyone. Hats off to Billy for being able to listen to all that complaining!!

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 11:05:26 pm »
Missed it on the dvr somehow! Going to search for the next showing of I, Caveman on Discovery ;)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Little John

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 12:41:30 am »
 Pretty good show but the elk hunt looked to be shot at an elk ranch, I have never seen 50 big bull elk let people walk up to them to spear distance. and I personally would have jerkied the meat rather than keeping it cold in a creek. Still Billy made a good caveman.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline billy

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 02:15:57 am »
Yup that was me!!  Glad you caught it.  It was a really amazing experience to be a part of that entire production.  Everyone was really cool....the cameramen, the audio guys, the executive producers, and all the cast and crew involved.  I have some articles that will be published in Primitive Archer in the next few months about that show and what it was like to be on it.  So keep an eye out for them. 

I've been talking with the Executive Producer for I, Caveman.  He said I have a very good TV presence and he is working on some more survival shows and wants me to be the host.  We'll see what the future holds, but he's pitching some ideas to the Discovery Channel, so you might see me on TV regularly if something works out.  I'm also meeting with another TV exec tomorrow and we're gonna bounce some ideas off each other and see if we can get some ideas going.  Ever since I, Caveman aired I've been contacted by several different networks about doing survival shows.  Nothing has solidified yet, but it sure seems there's been a buzz ever since I, Caveman aired.  With that much interest I would think SOMETHING has to happen, it's just a matter of time.  Until then I'll just keep doing my thing. 

In case you missed it, I have a treat for you.  Here's the entire I, Caveman show on youtube.  Here's the link:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKzktOUlrTs&feature=player_embedded
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Scowler

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 09:06:37 am »
Thats great, Billy!  It would be nice to see a show featuring primitive survival skills from around the world.  Good luck!

Offline ratshooter

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 01:26:01 pm »
Great to hear billy, being a fan of yours is what brought me to this site!

You really do have a great TV presence and looked so natural teaching the other people to knapp.

I think you would do extemely well on a show like less strouds beyond survival. Way in your element. Even doing something like survivor man would be cool to see. Please whatever you do dont go all bear grylls on us, your to sool of a guy to do idiotic stunts for tv cameras.

youngbowyer

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 09:28:03 pm »
I watched the show last year and I thought it was great. With all due respect, was that elk shot on a ranch because I found it a little odd that all those elk were not spooked. Awesome show though!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 01:04:37 am »
Thanks for posting the link.  I was able to watch the whole thing thru tonite.

One thing I did was to read the credits closely.  Apparently this was shot on the Motherwell Ranch in Colorado.  I did a quick bit of research online and found they do offer High Fence hunting.  The following is posted on their site:
"TROPHY PARK HUNTS
With literally thousands of acres within our contained boundaries, one would never realize that they were hunting in a high fence park...and that is precisely how we intended it to be as we designed our unique trophy bull program.  You will never find anything like it, and you certainly won't feel as though you are hunting in a contained area.  Even the elk don't know the difference as they live, breed, and graze naturally in our habitat sanctuary.  Truly a once in a lifetime experience as you puruse World class monster bulls through natural canyons, dark forests, open meadows, wallows, streams & ponds.  400" + class bulls are available."

I want to be quick to point out that while those MAY have been high fence elk, and most likely were since the elk season was not open at the time of filming, they certainly were NOT PET ELK!  Even ranched elk are generally quite wary of people on foot.  Luck and skill played a huge part in these people getting to eat high country haute cuisine!  With "natural canyons, dark forrests, open meadows, wallows, streams &ponds", it was amazing they closed the deal on that opportunity.  Props to the hunters! 

How many of us would have the grit necessary after 8 days of serious calorie deficit spending just to get off our duffs and try yet again?  Heck, I get woozy headed and hungry just walking to the fridge for another cold one. 

Again, deep respect for those hunters and the camp in general.  Thanks.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 04:24:32 pm »
Well I really hope you get your own show. I've watched your stuff on youtube and you have a great camera presence. Good luck.

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 12:08:11 am »
Thanks Billy, I could only catch the second half of this on youtube.  Now I can see it all.  :)

Offline StevenT

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 04:56:30 pm »
I watched the whole show from the link. I really liked it and thought it was pretty realistic. As I was watching, I keep wondering why you didn't try to put some sort of bow together. I know it wouldn't have been pretty, but I was sure you could put something together that would fling a stick. Maybe next time. Overall, like I said, I really enjoyed the show and I would infinitely watch anything you and the producers come up with.

youngbowyer

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 10:11:49 pm »
Man, that Amy girl annoyed me :o

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 10:15:00 pm »
To be honest, I felt it was rather unrealistic.  I mean, they should have had someone in the group that knew the area or someone knew plants.  I know they did their best but prehistoric people were not inept.