Author Topic: Night Vision Hog Hunt  (Read 7407 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Night Vision Hog Hunt
« on: August 04, 2012, 05:37:52 pm »
I had a farmer call me a couple weeks ago saying the hogs were in his corn bad and asking me to come shoot a few.  I tried last Wed but none came out in the time I had to sit there.  Last night I went again with a friend from work.  We had sat in the truck bed for about 3 hours when a sounder came out.  Rich and I had planned for what to do if a sounder came out and fed, but didn't plan for a quick hog strike where they just ran by.  The first sow was moving fast and Rich didn't get a shot at her, but I dropped her just before she reached the corn.  At the shot a bunch of hogs ran out and I took 3 more shots hitting another sow that dropped after leaking badly for about 50 yards.  She turned out to be the largest hog I've ever killed at 270lbs.  The other one was 210lbs, both very nice pigs.  I had one shell left in the gun and before I could reload a handful of small pigs ran out.  Rich and I each shot and missed.  They went out about 70 yards and Rich got another shot but it was a tough long shot off-hand and they got away.  I reloaded, just 4 in the gun this time and a last lone boar came out, surprising us both.  I forgot to turn on the DVR so I didn't get that on video.  I should have waited for Rich but I lost control. I missed him with the first 2 shots and hit him with both the last 2 shots but he got into the standing corn.  We could hear him in there making noise , but he'd stopped by the time we processed the 2 sows and I didn't feel like following a wounded boar into the corn.  The farmer should find him today.  Here's my friend by the larger hog with the 210 pounder on the tailgate.

I did a quick edit of the video footage and posted it.

http://youtu.be/YNYjIrY1-PY

The farmer asked me to come back tonight but I'm too tired. :'(  Need to reload too. ;)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Night Vision Hog Hunt
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 05:52:28 pm »
Well done, well done sir. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline ksnow

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 06:42:53 pm »
Well done George.  I hope to shoot some pigs some day.

Kyle

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 08:00:17 pm »
George good shooting. The video looks wild. Hogs everywhere... I would have gone if you had invited me  ;D

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 08:03:14 pm »
Weren't you down at the coast?
St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 08:26:15 pm »
Ya...  8) I invited me... Just giving you grief...

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 10:25:03 pm »
Nice fat Porkers there, ...and lots of them  ;) ;) ;)

You guys need them Quiet Airguns, you would have picked them all  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 10:36:43 pm »
Getcha a supressor.  They can be a pain in the neck to obtain but I think would help net more hogs.  Alot of folks may think its not good sporting but after all this isnt for sport, its about helping farmers save crops.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 11:14:44 pm »
Way to go George. if i had those two big sows to clean I doubt if I'd waded off in that corn after a stinky ol' boar hog either.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 12:40:40 am »
Manny I don't know, we were waylaying hogs in between the security of the high grass travel corrider and the security of the standing corn.  They didn't want to stop much and give us good shots.  Do they have a semi-auto PCP with enough energy to dump a 270lb sow?  Once all the corn is chopped we should be able to spot and stalk them, especially when the moon is less full.  That's alot of fun, but I don't get in that situation very often.

I was ready to get a suppressor Jimbob, but then my truck needed a new engine and stole my suppressor fund. :'(  Haven't given up but it will take a little longer.

Eddie, this was a perfect setup for the killer jeep.  I could have gotten 3 times as many if I'd used the f150 instead of the Remington.  If it hadn't been for the antilock brakes I'd have had 3 or 4 more on the way home at 3am.  I REALLY didn't want to run over half a sounder at 65mph.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 08:02:12 pm »
George, hitting a sounder is exciting, ask Chris Cade. Chris and his cousin were behind me when the Hog hand Grenade went off under my Jeep. My back wheel went up in the air and pigs were squirting out all sides.

If you know they are going to cross that open area try dumping some corn soured with Malt liquor and molasses. It will make them stop long enough to blast.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 09:41:06 pm »
Yea, the problem is everything changes as he keeps harvesting. It'll likely be different the next time I go. I tend to use scents to cover where I walk with hogs. Sour corn is a great lure though.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 01:40:20 pm »
Nice shootin'.  looks like a lot of fun.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 10:50:02 pm »
Heck, I'd love to chip in on the suppressor fund just for a chance to put a multiple kill on the scoreboard! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 11:18:42 pm »
Lots of bacon there....
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II