Author Topic: Heading to Uwharrie Mt. area would like to find some Knapping rock.  (Read 1708 times)

Offline taggedyou2

Hey
  Anyone know of a good road, river, creek, anyplace to find some good knapping rock around the outside of the park. I really like the hard rhyolites. Thanks for any help beats driving around the county at todays gas prices. I will be in that area for two days. Someday I will get the nerve to post some picks. I just make points and knifes to give away. I don't use then myself.
Thanks John

Offline Ncsnipe

Re: Heading to Uwharrie Mt. area would like to find some Knapping rock.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 01:18:40 am »
I'm not real familiar with that area , but the way I like to hunt rhyolite is to look for new housing developments. Usually the ground is already dug up and it only takes a few minutes to see if there is any good rock in the area. Also look in new road cuts. Hope you find some and let us know how you do.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 10:04:18 am »
If you come by the house and get that other rock first I can point you to a couple of areas I know of.  I've got a fair bit of the tough stuff, too that you can have.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 08:23:25 pm »
yea jonathan we know where some hard stuff is there is a spot below the dam at the pee dee river where you can get some.
bryan irwin

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 09:45:43 am »
yea jonathan we know where some hard stuff is there is a spot below the dam at the pee dee river where you can get some.

Haha, yeah if you want the tough stuff that's the place to go.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 12:13:29 pm »
Yea, If you want tough rock Jonathan is deffinately the man to see. ::)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline taggedyou2

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 02:03:48 pm »
Thanks for all the tips. I don't really no why but I really like working the rhyolite. I can beat the h*ll out of it and still get a nice point.
Thanks John

Offline Bearded Mountain Man

• Waxhaw Survival Ware
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 10:03:55 pm »
i was recently up in the morrow mnt. area and didn't see much, but It was my first time really looking around for some good rock to knap. How did your search go did you find anything good?
"As if you could kill time without injuring eternity" -Henry David Thoreau