Author Topic: does anyone have a white linen or silk backing strip?  (Read 1973 times)

Offline Ifrit617

does anyone have a white linen or silk backing strip?
« on: July 29, 2012, 07:16:55 pm »
does anyone have a white linen or silk backing strip. I have a young cousin who wants to get into archery. I have sinew to trade. Needs to be 48" long. Can someone please help me out? Thanks.

Jon
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 08:47:39 pm by Ifrit617 »

Offline RBLusthaus

Re: does anyone have a pink or purple linen or silk backing strip?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 12:33:12 pm »
I have dyed hickory bows purple with RIT dye and alcohol.  You might not need any backing for kids bows, so this can be an option for you.  . 

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 06:17:11 pm »
I want to back it for safety as my cousin is only 5 and this is her very first bow. Anybody have anything?

Jon

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 07:34:59 pm »
I have hickory bow blanks already glued up if you are interested.  They are Flat Sawn hickory bellies and QS Hickory backings.  They are glued up with reflex built in.  All you need do is add a handle piece and tiller.  They are 48 inches long. 

I use these blanks for kids bows in the 20-30 lb range, so a 15 lb bow for a 5 yr old could be gotton easily with out the need for any further backing - as they are backed with QS hickory already.  As for the purple, dye or paint, or maybe find a purple tie, cut it up and glue it down.  My preference would be the dye as you can still see the grain thru.     

If interested, I will take some pics.  I would be willing to trade for some sinew.

Russ

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 07:02:47 pm »
Thanks for the offer. I have a blank partially tillered already for her and it looks good. If that doesn't work out I will be sure to contact you to work out a trade. Thanks.

Jon

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 04:35:16 am »
You can always dye the silk any color you like before gluing.
Frank from Germany...

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 06:53:57 pm »
Good point. Does anyone have any white silk or linen backing strips that they could trade?

Jon