Author Topic: Sinew backed Osage: Paint with a modern twist. :)  (Read 11374 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Sinew backed Osage: Paint with a modern twist. :)
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2012, 05:10:18 pm »
Man, that bow is gorgeous. Very nice paint job!
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2012, 06:56:08 pm »
Thanks a lot guys. I almost forgot... She's 53 1/2 inches ttt, 52 inches ntn and she pulls 48# at 28". I left the bellies of the limbs unsealed so that the wood and sinew can cure out some more. I'm guessing between 50-55# when all is said and done.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2012, 07:12:11 pm »
that's a very cool bow. It's definitely striking!

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2012, 12:29:35 am »
You are obviously no newbie to painting, that has got to be the best artwork I've ever seen on a bow! Great job,
-Billy
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2012, 12:32:33 am »
You are obviously no newbie to painting, that has got to be the best artwork I've ever seen on a bow! Great job,
-Billy
Actually, I've only ever done a wee bit of spray painting in my day. I'm pretty sure that I did this the hard way(cutting strips and pieces out of masking tape with an exacto blade). The lines aren't as crisp as I anticipated, but I think the imperfections actually look appropriate for it. Glad you dig it. :)

Offline raghorns

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2012, 01:08:32 am »
Sled, what a great looking bow...you mentioned that your stave was shorter than you really wanted...what do you think would be an optimal length for this style of bow?

Lyle
Live Life at Full Draw

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2012, 01:15:07 am »
Sled, what a great looking bow...you mentioned that your stave was shorter than you really wanted...what do you think would be an optimal length for this style of bow?

Lyle

I guess it all depends on the weight you want from it and draw length. I was shooting for around 55# on this bow(might get there after some more curing). I'd have just preferred to start with a stave of around 56-58 inches. Then taken it down if I needed. In this case, the bow turned out just about perfect for my draw length and desired weight.

Offline Cloudfeather

It was a tragedy but it had to be done. The paint was unable to handle the stress of the bow and starting cracking. I stripped her down and threw some python skins on it. Here's some pics...more to come in the near future. I may or may not leave the skin from the head there. ATM though, I think it looks slick. lol