Author Topic: Sinew backed Osage: Paint with a modern twist. :)  (Read 11375 times)

Offline Cloudfeather

Re: Fresh Osage and a day off...(Pic Update)
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 07:33:11 pm »
Despite having some fresh carp skins in the freezer, I decided to go a little astray with this and paint it. I know it's not exactly a primitive paint scheme, but I'm really happy with how it's coming together. Still needs to be clear coated and have some leather put on the riser yet. Can't wait to finish it and get to shooting it again. lol

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: Fresh Osage and a day off...
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 07:54:44 pm »
Nice job Husker! Neat artwork!! 8)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 08:12:42 pm »
Even though I prefer the natural look of wood or skins, my theory on painting a bow is similar to Doc Brown's theory on building a time machine, "Why not do it with some style?!". Haha, thanks, brother. Soon as she's finished, I'll post more pics.

Offline Arrows on the Mission

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 11:51:50 pm »
wow, very impressive skills you have! Whats the history behind the Lakota bow? Quite an interesting design! Hows does she shoot?

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2012, 01:20:49 am »
Arrows, the Lakota bow was the bread and butter of the people.  To us it held the balance of the people, meaning it had the power to give life (hunting) or take life (warfare).  Most of our bows were between 39-53 inches.  We had two styles "B" or gull wing and "D" style.  The bows were short so as to be shot off horseback.  Additionally, there were at times a horse hair tuft on the top nock, which had nothing to do with "windage".  Rather it was symbolic of the horse which represented the Wakinyan or Thunder Beings.  You see, in our culture we believe that the horse and bow were gifts from the thunder people thus when the two were combined the power of the Wakinyan became a part of the bow.  Our relatives to the east (Dakota) had relatively longer bows.  BTW, sled that is a nice design you got there.  Well done.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2012, 01:50:33 am »
Very nice bow and the artwork is impressive.  I am a bit curious as to the "Lakota style" reference.  I'm certainly not an expert on NA bows, but I have done a little research on the subject.  I have yet to find a stiff handle example of a Lakota bow or one with reflexed Molly style levers.  As Ogalala Bowyer pointed out, most are gullwing or d-bows.  I'm just curious as too the specific tribal style reference origin.  If you have a reference such as a museum example or something similar, I would sure be interested in checking out.  I love to check out that sort of stuff.  Once again, very nice job on that bow!  Josh

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2012, 07:03:30 am »
Good looking stave and looks like you done well with it,don't know nothing about the Lakota thing but the bow is very nice none the less,like the painting and looking forward to seeing it finished up. :) Should spit an arrow. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline smoke

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2012, 10:28:42 am »
That is a cool bow!  Well done!

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2012, 03:16:07 pm »
Almostpighunter's build along referenced the style as Lakota/Mollegabet. I wasn't really going for an era accurate replica, just using some design ideas. I'm guessing that traditional NA bows weren't painted with Krylon spray paint? Lol

Offline coaster500

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2012, 03:40:03 pm »
Great job :)

Very nice art work!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2012, 04:47:26 pm »
That explains it.  It definitely has Molly design characteristics.  I'm no expert on finishes either, but I would be willing to bet krylon was probably not used much either!  Lol!  Nice work!  Josh

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2012, 07:37:50 pm »
I do believe that "say it with krylon(tm)"is an old na phrase  ::)
Cool looking paint job ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2012, 01:24:45 pm »
Well, she's basically done. Think I might do a thin wrap of red dacron on each limb right where the static portion starts. I'll have a money shot up a little later on. Hope you guys dig the end result.  :)

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2012, 04:48:46 pm »
Here's a close up of the handle wrap and the full draw shot. Been a pleasure building as usual, thanks guys for your comments and kind words. Looking forward to my next project. :)

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Sinew backed Osage: Paint with a modern twist. :)
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2012, 04:54:05 pm »
nicely done! looking great!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)