Author Topic: Sinew backed Osage: Paint with a modern twist. :)  (Read 11376 times)

Offline Cloudfeather

Sinew backed Osage: Paint with a modern twist. :)
« on: July 31, 2012, 10:28:48 pm »
Just got in a fresh stave and I'm like a little kid on Christmas again. lol. Going for another Lakota style bow with sinew. This stave is a little on the short side, 53 1/2", but I think I can make a nice little hunting bow from it. Now, if I can only score me some pike or muskie skins, I'll be really in the money.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 04:50:56 pm by Sled Huskin »

Offline Matt A

Re: Fresh Osage and a day off...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 01:46:45 am »
i've tried northern pike skins it's difficult. there's zero colors under the scales like carp, but i've heard if you glue them on and dab something like super glue on all the scales they'll stay in place.
good luck!

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 11:30:51 am »
How much actual working limb is in that design?  Sinew is great stuff your last bow looked good.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 03:03:08 pm »
I'll have to see what the skin looks like when and if I catch a pike. The working limb is only half the distance from the fade to the tip. 11 3/32 " on the bow. It'll be a slow and meticulous tillering process, I assure you. Lol

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 05:56:55 pm »
That's a great looking stave.  I can't wait to see how it progresses. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 10:19:51 pm »
Sure would like to see a full draw pic of the frist Lakota style bow,    Like hrhodes said looking forward to the progress on the new stave.
DB
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 10:23:21 pm »
There's a full draw pic on the thread I posted with my first bow. Upper limb ended up a tad stiff, but it shoots well with very little hand shock. I decided to leave it be. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 11:12:47 pm by Sled Huskin »

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 08:35:01 pm »
She's coming along nicely. :) My only worry is the knot in the static portion of the one limb. It's right in the fade, so I'm not sure if there's cause for concern or not. I might just wrap it with sinew when I back it.

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 10:41:57 pm »
Got her all sinewed up a few days ago. Still waiting for it to cure more before I mess with the tiller. Though, I did mix some osage dust with wood glue to fill in the crevices. gonna sand it down to a smooth finish on the back so I can paint it up nice when it's tillered and ready to go.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 09:42:17 am »
I like those recurves :) She's got a nice side profile now.

What glue did you use for the sinew? I've never done a sinew backing myself, but I think yours looks a bit messy...?
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 11:54:21 am »
I use Tightbond III myself. It's always a bit messy, but it cleans up just fine when all is said and done. The sinew develops little hills and valleys in it as it cures and shrinks, so I just mix sawdust with the glue and fill it in to be sanded down later.

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 10:01:25 pm »
So, I've got the tiller mostly in, I believe. My only issue is a slight deflex off the handle, right at the upper limb. (Evident in photo). I'm going to try to heat it and put a slight reflex off the handle to try and remedy the issue. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 10:44:05 pm »
That might help, but you might wanna just try to fix it by tillering it to bend even. Looking good though. Be careful that does not become a hinge!
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 03:44:52 pm »
(...) I'm going to try to heat it and put a slight reflex off the handle to try and remedy the issue.
Be very careful with that. The glue does not withstand high temperatures well.

Are you sure the problem is deflex? You can only see deflex or reflex in an UNbraced bow. Judging from the pictures, the problem could as well be poor tillering...The pics earlier in this topic do not show any significant deflex...maybe only ½" or so.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 04:20:45 pm »
Manage to fix it somewhat with some heat bending. Just have that tiny stiff spot to tiller out on the lower limb and she should be golden.