Author Topic: My first self bow.  (Read 6464 times)

Offline DGF

My first self bow.
« on: July 31, 2012, 04:47:23 am »
I use the term 'self bow' rather loosely as this really was a combination of alot of great people coming together and teaching this thick skull what they could. Not one part of this project was done without the knowledge picked off from others either through videos, reading posts or hands on help and instruction. Two people really stick out in this project, and I'd like to give them a big thank you.

The first is Matt Wirwicki. I met Matt at this years Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous over the Memorial Day weekend. Matt sold me a roughed out osage stave and helped me get it floor tillerd and ready for the tillering stick. Matt was beyond patient and is a great instructor. When you are as good at a craft as Matt is it would be easy to become frustrated with the most novice of persons as I am. He stood by patiently instructing me step by step as a took off some shavings and rasped away at stiff spots throughout the floor tiller process. Thank you Matt!

The second is Chris, aka PEARL DRUMS on the message boards. As you have seen on here Chris whittles up some gorgeous and seriously deadly bows of many different styles. I also first met Chris at the Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous. I had the opportunity to shoot the course with Chris and his friend in Marshall using one of Chris's Bend through the handle osage self bows. This bow spit an arrow with authority. If you've seen his other work in action you know it was no fluke. I was able to watch Chris work on bows a little bit in Marshall and quite a bit in Grayling at the Michigan Traditional Bowhunters Shoot. I learned alot by watching Chris help others and watching him Tiller bows on site at the shoots. I asked Chris many questions about tillering and bow styles and he was more than willing to help me with my questions. I first shot this bow in its unfinished state at the MTB shoot with the help of Chris in setting it up. Thank you Chris!

I'd also like to throw a thank you out to Gary Davis. I watched his Rattlestick Self Bow DVD numerous times during this project and it was a great help as a reference when I got stuck at times. Also, his video instruction on applying snake skins and trimming them up added alot of mojo to this bow. Thanks Gary!

I can only guess on draw weight of this bow at mid 40#'s at my draw length of 27 1/2". The handle is leather tied on with artificial sinew. The snake skins are western diamondback & the tip overlays are ebony.

The bow:

Upper tip:                                                                Lower tip:

Money shot:

-Dan

Wyoming, MI

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: My first self bow.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 04:57:28 am »
Rock on man! !! What a sweet first!!! And what a support group! Please keep em coming, cant wait to see the next  :o
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 08:30:23 am »
Great looking bow! Nice to share the credit. You should be Proud.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 08:35:18 am »
Beautiful job!
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 08:40:10 am »
Congrats on your first...enjoy it  :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 09:06:52 am »
Dan your bow looks good for a first and I know for a fact they will get better. Dan has a great attitude and is eager as hell to get this all figured out. I love it! I think that bow taught you a lot man? Looking forward to seeing you this weekend, dont forget the beers!

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 09:13:16 am »
Sweet bow and welcome to the addiction.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 09:23:58 am »
Wish my 1st had looked that good!! Nice job. I see a little of Matt and PD in the bow, but you sure finished it up nice! Those skins and tips look superb, too. Congratulations!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Judo Point

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 09:43:45 am »
Very nice that's a bow to be proud of!!

owlbait

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 10:17:49 am »
Nice job Dan. She finished out great, but when I saw it in Grayling you already had most of the work done. Thanks for sharing Pearlie that Saturday at Grayling. I left there much more confident also that I had a bow that would shoot, and was also a collaboration of many ideas and assisitants. Hopefully we can shoot a round at Elm Hall this weekend.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 10:36:56 am »
Congrats, Dan. You build a very nice first bow. Having Matt, Pearlie and Gary Davis cheeryng you on is a wonderful bit of encouragement from some guys that know what they are talking about. I'd bet everyone of them had a mentor(s) as well and now is their time to pass on the knowledge. I hope you will do the same when that time comes.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 11:10:02 am »
Sweet bow Dan!! That's a great lookin #1. I see you are in Wyoming mi, I live in Rockford, about 20 minutes from you. Always good to see guys on here from my neck of the woods.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline coaster500

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 11:13:14 am »
Dan I feel for ya Bro...  you don't know what just hit ya, the addiction has begun >:D

Great first bow!!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 12:24:03 pm »
Beautiful bow, exceptional first bow. great job
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline FRITZ 86

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 12:28:35 pm »
Geez brother!!! You nocked that one out of the park! Beautiful bow! Congrats!