Author Topic: Hickory backing for red oak  (Read 4629 times)

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
Hickory backing for red oak
« on: November 24, 2015, 04:24:51 pm »
I have made several board bows for some family members this Christmas. A close friend of hers has a grown daughter who has a new boyfriend they really like who are coming for Christmas. My wife thought it would be nice to build him one so he doesn't feel "left out" I have a couple of unfinished projects one of which is a roughed out red oak board bow that I set aside a year or so back because at floor tiller it was obvious that it was going to turn out light. I had planned on backing it with Lenin at the time but never got around to it. I figured I would try and use it if I can. I have a couple of strips of hickory backing and wanted to ask how well it will work with red oak. Oh apparently he found out about it and mentioned to someone how nice it would be to have a snake skin backing. I have some faux snake skin so that is as far as I go. The red oak doesn't have any set. I haven't even put nocks in for the tillering string. Up until now I have only used bamboo backing. If I am going to take the time to flatten a piece of boo it is going to be for me so I was hoping hickory would add a little strength. Thoughts?
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline bubby

Re: Hickory backing for red oak
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 05:05:12 pm »
Go for it,  a heavy1/8" and round the edges really good you should be fine
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Birdman

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 05:31:35 pm »
I have one of those glued up and cut out right now.  Some posts here expressed concern about Hickory overpowering the red oak.  I just finished a maple backed red oak board bow.  It shoots nice with little set.  I would suggest a bend thru the handle design for the hickory backed red oak.

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 05:32:51 pm »
Sounds good thanks. Set was my main concern. Think I should put a bit of reflex in it?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 05:36:05 pm by ccase39 »
Reading
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline Birdman

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 05:39:53 pm »
That question exceeds my pay grade.  Hopefully one of the better bowyers here will chime in.  Sorry I can't help with the reflex question.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 06:24:35 pm »
What are the dimensions of the red oak and layout
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 10:28:57 pm »
What are the dimensions of the red oak and layout
72 inches total length 1-3/8 wide to 1/2 inch at tips. The profile is 5/8 at the fade straight tapered to 3/8 at tips. I cant remember what I was planning to do with it at the time. I am thinking of cutting it down to make it 66" total length. I had already put a 9 inch riser on it.
Reading
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 03:55:31 am »
I think Hickory would be a much better backing than 'Lenin'.
True his hide has been well preserved, but I doubt the Kremlin will let you have any.  ;)
(sorry couldn't resist that one!) I hope it turns out well for you and I'll look forward to seeing pics when its done. :-)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 11:15:40 am »
I think Hickory would be a much better backing than 'Lenin'.
True his hide has been well preserved, but I doubt the Kremlin will let you have any.  ;)
(sorry couldn't resist that one!) I hope it turns out well for you and I'll look forward to seeing pics when its done. :-)
Ha! Just caught that!
Reading
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 02:21:55 pm »
I've made a few hickory backed red oak and had my best luck with a wide(2 1/2") pyramid. It is 66" long and I added about 4" of reflex at glue up and it had held 1" after lots of shooting. Actually that bow seems to be indestructible.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 06:16:42 pm »
I've made a few hickory backed red oak and had my best luck with a wide(2 1/2") pyramid. It is 66" long and I added about 4" of reflex at glue up and it had held 1" after lots of shooting. Actually that bow seems to be indestructible.
For the reflex could I do curves off the tip like an R/d bow or can I simply put a couple of 3-4 inch high blocks under the tips and crank the clamps down in the center of the riser. For this bow I would prefer it not to have curves as I want it to look like a longbow.
Reading
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 10:32:21 pm »
For the reflex could I do curves off the tip like an R/d bow or can I simply put a couple of 3-4 inch high blocks under the tips and crank the clamps down in the center of the riser. For this bow I would prefer it not to have curves as I want it to look like a longbow.

That would work just fine as you described.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 10:40:15 pm »
That's how I did it, Case. I used pieces of 2x4 on edge and clamped the handle to the table. If you pre-tiller the belly so you get a nice, even bend at floor tiller or just beyond your glue-up will end up with a nice even bend after glue-up.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 10:44:33 pm »
That's how I did it, Case. I used pieces of 2x4 on edge and clamped the handle to the table. If you pre-tiller the belly so you get a nice, even bend at floor tiller or just beyond your glue-up will end up with a nice even bend after glue-up.
Great thanks Pat. That is exactly what I will do.
Reading
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7