Author Topic: urac 185 glue up question  (Read 3045 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
urac 185 glue up question
« on: July 29, 2012, 03:17:11 pm »
I need some advice.
Just getting ready to glue up a couple projects. A splice on a set of billets and bamboo backing on an Osage T/D.
I've never used urac and directions are a bit vague. Should I lightly coat both surfaces or will a medium coat on only one surface before clamping suffice?
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Stonedog

Re: urac 185 glue up question
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 05:26:04 pm »
For any glue job I am partial to glue on both pieces.....for my thinking it helps avoid a glue starved area.....
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 06:09:25 pm »
I agree with Stonedog.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 06:26:03 pm »
I agree too...and don't skimp on the glue. You can wipe off any excess.
  I measure by volumn and not by weight and never had a urac glue failure.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 06:42:42 pm »
I glued them up spreading all surfaces with a palette knife. Wasn't sure how much to mix but ended up with plenty.
Once clamped in I placed them all out back on the workbench. I wrapped the bamboo backed limbs with bandage and clamps on both ends. With the weather here they should dry in short order.
Should 24 hrs be long enough before proceeding?
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 07:12:03 pm »
With any and every glue, you ALWAYS want to put a medium coat of glue on both surfaces.

How exactly did you clamp the glue-up? I'm a bit confused by the sentence: "Once clamped in I placed them all out back on the workbench. I wrapped the bamboo backed limbs with bandage and clamps on both ends."
You didn't "clamp" with bandages only, I hope? Did you use something elastic to wrap around? Did you use a form?
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 07:33:36 pm »
On the billets I used 3 c clamps with moderately heavy pressure over the 4" handle splice area.
I wrapped the limbs tightly wound with Ace bandage full length, c clamps on the both ends and 6 spring clamps spaced evenly full length over the bandage wrap.
I didn't have a form to utilize and the BBO is one that failed due to the original bamboo backing splitting. I'm trying to salvage it.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 09:21:59 pm »
Not enough clamps on the BBO Fred. You would have done better with a tight inner tube strip wrap instead of the ace bandage. Maybe everything will come out OK but I suspect you will have some voids in your glue line.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 10:07:41 pm »
Eric, I knew about the inner tube wrap but didn't have any. As usual got a little impatient and rushed things. Hopefully I tugged tight enough and will get away with it. If not  I'll mark it down as lesson learned. I read somewhere about someone using saran wrap and maybe should have stretched that tight instead of the bandage.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 01:55:53 am »
go to bowyersedge.com and read Dean's article "Thinking glue" You'll find many answers there. Oh, and always wet to wet, enough to get some squeeze out.