Author Topic: 2012 tater harvest  (Read 3131 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
2012 tater harvest
« on: July 29, 2012, 12:26:02 pm »
We decided to plant taters this year to see how they would do. We planted taters years ago but not since. These should be pretty tastey!

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh B

Re: 2012 tater harvest
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 12:33:35 pm »
Good looking spuds Pat!  I do love me some taters!  Especially new potatoes cut in half and fried in butter with onions and peppers. Or mashed or baked or raw with salt or.......... or..........    Dang nabbit!  Now I'm hungry!    >:( ;D ;D.  Josh

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 12:51:08 pm »
Add a little cabbage, Corned beef, and,, i'm in. :P
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 01:13:40 pm »
 Is that the leprechaun coming out in you, Eddie?  ;)
  We haven't eaten many taters in the last few years. Trying to lower our carb intake. We will even share these with friends as the red skin taters don't store very long like the russets do. They should taste very good though.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 02:05:49 pm »
also harvested and processed fresh basil this morning. Here is what we cut...

...and the processed basil. We like to blend the basil with olive oil and freeze it in ice cube trays. After frozen we'll put the basil cubes in ziplock bags and keep it in the freezer for later use. Sure is nice to have fresh basil taste in the winter.
 You just drop a cube or two in whatever you are cooking or grate the frozen basil over a home made pizza.  ;)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 03:39:20 pm »
Mmmm-hmmm, I like them taters. 

-Slingbow
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 11:34:07 pm »
whats taters precious, whats taters.... ::)
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 07:31:40 pm »
I could eat all them taters in one settin', Pat. :) That sounds like a good trick with the basil, I'll have to try that. Ain't it great to pick and put up a bunch of stuff that you grew? I have a bunch of basil ready right now, as doon as the maters get ripe I gotta can up a couple runs of marinara sauce. We've been drying a lot of oregano, basil, parsley, sage, chives, and thyme out of the garden. Saves a lot of money and tastes better. I dry ancho and cayenne peppers and grind them into chili powder, and make a couple runs of chipotles every year, too, along with canning a bunch of salsa.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 12:08:02 am »
Our tomatoes are just starting to come in. When they get going well I'll be cooking them down with onions and peppers then into the freezer. It is so nice to have a fresh tomato taste in January and February. Already had a few BLTs, one of my favorite samiches when the tomatoes come in.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 12:16:13 am »
Is there much in this world as intensely satisfying as a real vine ripened 'mater?

Maters, taters, but where's the 'nanners?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 02:31:51 am »
Add a little cabbage, Corned beef, and,, i'm in. :P

Eddie don't forget the chile...

Nice harvest Pat.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 10:04:54 am »
Good looking spuds and herbs! Add a fresh deer loin and you'll be eating like kings ;) ever try adding herbs to softened butter and then freeze or frig? We really need a food section here.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956