Author Topic: Where have all the bows gone?  (Read 5852 times)

Offline Easternarcher

Where have all the bows gone?
« on: September 15, 2007, 09:58:36 pm »
Just wondering, since so many here make their own self and backed bows...and some seem to be VERY prolific as far as successful bows in the end. 8)

WHat becomes of all these bows. Do you keep them all, do they eventually break and get tossed for a shot at a new build? ???

Also wondering what is the life expectancy of these homemade wonders? ::) :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Where have all the bows gone?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 10:08:48 pm »
  I sell a few.But mostly trade somebody for something or more bow materials.I've given quite a few to some of the kids that were interested.Wolf among Dogs did beg me to sell him one and I threw in a matched set of tapered arrows that I never saw payment for.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 10:49:48 pm »
Only two I got are huntin this year, the other one I gave away :)
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline lowell

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 11:54:59 pm »
Have made 13 in the last year and a half. Have given 5 away... broke one... going to reduce weight on one for my wife...have 2 that I want as shooters ... the rest are hanging on the shop wall waiting for someone to show interest in and then who knows what will happen!! ;)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 12:02:08 am »
Have made 13 in the last year and a half. Have given 5 away... broke one... going to reduce weight on one for my wife...have 2 that I want as shooters ... the rest are hanging on the shop wall waiting for someone to show interest in and then who knows what will happen!! ;)

Heck Lowell, show me some picks and I'll take some interest in 'em!! :o ;)

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 03:36:01 am »

some favourite-ones hang on the wall over there right across my desk in my music room and it's often inspiring to have them there (to have my own development visual in these bows helps my artistic work, i guess). some others stroll around the house...
some i give away, some i sell, some were even made on customer's order.
frank

[attachment deleted by admin]
Frank from Germany...

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 08:44:30 am »
I have several racks of bows but I have sold many from my collection, made many for customers and have also given some away.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

perry

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 09:19:48 am »
   I have learned a lot by making a good shooting bow and then systematicly destroying them just seeing how far I can push the envelope with the various designs I have tried . I give away many of the bows aswell something I often wonder about because most of them never resurface but just occasionly I hook someone to primitive or traditional archery . I also stuff up a good number as I cant resist a challenge and al to often choose rubbish bow wood - but when it works WOW  . regards Perry

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 10:20:59 am »
Broken Bow Garden.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 04:37:10 pm »
Which ones I can't give away are going to be built into a shed for more bows :D.

Slivershooter

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 02:12:53 am »
I am down to building around half a dozen bows every year, give or take a couple.  I donate one to my state archery organizations and the PBS, give a couple to friends, and split hunting time between the couple I have left.  I have good access to hunting property and National Forest land close to home enabling me to fill my quota of eight deer tags each year, and when things come together every few years, a bear, mountain lion, and elk.  When it feels right, usually mid season, I retire the bow and hang it on the wall next to the mounts or pictures.  I seldom use a bow more then part of one season in order to give the new bows a chance to hunt.  However, once in a while a bow will call to me from the wall and for some reason, be it the way it shoots, the therapy/emotions encountered when building it, or unique characteristics it might have, it comes out of retirement to hunt another critter or go stump shooting.  Guess I shouldn’t say these bows are retired, rather they are, for lack of a better description, put into “Reserve”.  I have been extremely lucky and haven’t had one “die” on me for almost ten years, so there is a good reserve available, if needed.

Walt Francis

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 07:38:01 am »
Some are sold or given away, some are still shooting (Every tournement I shoot with another bow. Bowhunting isn't legal in Germany), some are made for customers,...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 08:07:19 am »
Give some away and keep some,I was counting them up Sat. and I only have 16 good shooters right now,guess it is time to thin them down some.Most I have now have some kind of special memory with it so I may just hang um up. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

a finnish native

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 08:25:06 am »
I give them a year of life expectancy in hunting. assuming they are self bows. for laminates and sinew backed ones 3-x years.
my self bows would last longer than a year, but I have usually made anotherone during that time. of course there are some all time favourites that never lose their charm.. ::)

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 12:14:25 pm »
Hey pappy I have some storage space in Montana if you need to send one away lol.....Always wanted some osage to play with up here.