Author Topic: bow backing question  (Read 1854 times)

Offline stickthrower

bow backing question
« on: August 12, 2012, 12:03:29 pm »
So, I was out fishing yesterday, and we caught some northerns.  One was a good size, and I was looking at it thinking it might a good backing, like snake skin, for the bow.  Has anyone done this?  I was able to get all the flesh off of one of the skins, but I know I would need to get it cleaned off even better if I was going to use it on a bow. 

Thanks

Nathan
Sartell, Minnesota

Offline Cloudfeather

Re: bow backing question
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 12:06:12 pm »
I'd thought about doing this myself after having done a carp skin backing on a bow. Some say that once you descale it, the skin has virtually no color to it. Making for a not to good aesthetic backing. I personally haven't had the pleasure myself. Still waiting to see the results from someone else' attempt.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 01:30:34 pm »
Almost any fish skin can be used as a decorative backing. Stretch the skin, flesh side out to a board and use a tea spoon to scrape any flesh or fat from the skin and set it is the sun to dry. When it is completely dry you can remove it from the board and scrape the scales off to see if the skin has enough design for your liking. It might be easier to scale if it is still on the fish but you can wait until later to do it.
  I backed a bow with coachwhip snake skin and almost didn't because of its lack of pattern. It turned out to be very nice with just the scale outline showing. I guess you won't really know until you try.
  I'm not familiar with Northern Pike but if it is an oily skin fish wash the skin with Dawn dish soap(blue original formular) to remove the fat from the skin. You can do this after skinning or when you rehydrate the skin before glueing it to the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 03:45:30 pm »
Northern pike (a.k.a. snot rockets, slimers, snakes, freshwater barracuda, water wolves, slough sharks) will keep some of the pattern when dried.  Not as brilliant as when alive, though. 

I had some 8 pounders filleted and the hides drying, but my old dog got a hold of them.  The resulting gaseous emissions that nite were bad enough to lift the seasoning outa my cast iron skillets! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickthrower

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 06:12:30 pm »
JW that is bad!  probably almost as bad as the time we gave our dog a smoked knuckle to chew on.  Had some people over who hadn't told people that she was pregnant yet.  Apparently the smells coming from hims back end was almost enough to cause her to puke the amazing steaks I had made.

I scraped all the flesh on the one skin just to see if I could do it or not.  There was a white layer under the flesh.  I got it down to that layer though and it seemed like it might be something I could try.  I will have to go out and try to get some more northerns to work with.

yes, fresh water barricuda is one name for them.  They are amazing fish to catch.  The fight they give is amazing.  next time I am bringing my bigger rod.  I was only using 10 lb test.  i have some 30 lb test.  Hopefully i can get some big fish again.  The one, not mine unfortunately, bit my finger.  I had just gotten teh hook out for him, and it whipped its head and got me.  he tasted good.   >:D

I will have to post some pics of them once i get them cleaned.

Thanks

Nathan
Sartell, Minnesota

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 06:25:42 pm »
Nathan, I did exactly what you were trying, Usually when I fillet out the big Northerns or Musky's the skins wouldn't be useable, but I did one just for a backer. I left the scales on and dried it that way and it went from green/glod with creme spots to black w/ white spots. The skin still shows a nice pattern but like ya took a photo in black and white. I can take a photo if ya like to see how mine looked.
rich

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 06:28:05 pm »
Chunk up the meat in 1 1/2 inch cubes.  Bring pot of water to a boil, add as much salt as the water will dissolve.  Bring back to a boil.  Add fish to water and boil for no more than 90 seconds.  Scoop out fish and dip cubes in melted butter.........Prairie Lobster!

Serve with a high end bottle of  sauvignon blanc from the New Zealand Marlborough Region or your choice of dry champagne.  Beer, of course, is always an option.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.