Author Topic: How to catch shrimp?  (Read 11341 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
How to catch shrimp?
« on: July 26, 2012, 06:17:24 pm »
Anyone know what the best method to catch shrimp? Is there a type of trap that will work?

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline cracker

Re: How to catch shrimp?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 07:54:14 pm »
In great numbers would be my suggestion gooood eating. Sorry Cip but I couldn't resist shrimp is one of my fovorite belly packings.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 10:10:17 pm »
If you have a boat and can find them you can catch a lot free casting.  Be sure it is legal to bait them......usually is a season to bait shrimp.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Comalforge

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 10:41:19 pm »
A cast net from a dock on a moonlit night works pretty well.

Offline Brock

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 11:09:33 pm »
here is how I do it and everyone else that goes it alone here does as well....

buy yourself a cast net....start in 4-6ft range at first until you become proficient...if you buy a 10-12 footer you wont be able to throw it...practice makes perfect.  watch some videos on how to throw a cast net...and then practice over deep water where it wont get hung up on oyster beds, submerged debris, etc.

throwing off front of deck boat, off a dock is easier than off bank as you are up higher....

if bating is legal then buy a bag of fish meal...and a bag of clay that you mix with water and then mix meal and clay together to make bait balls.  here you can only do the baiting during september for specific period so check rules.  We catch the rising tide and after dark if possible....shining lights off dock or boat.  Throw your bait balls about 4 feet from casting area...one per area.  On the dock we do one on each corner of floating dock and one in middle towards deep part.  let sit for 15-20 minutes.

then you cast your net....alternating each bait ball one at a time.  Let net sink toward bottom then pull string quickly to close it up and pull up your catch.

If baiting not legal then you will look for them being chased by mullet or other fish and jumping in water....throw net there if you can.

during day time I look for fish chasing them....or for birds....you can see them just under surface of water....throw net...let it sink down near bottom....close quickly and pull to boat or dock.

you tube is a beautiful thing...you can see it before doing it for first time.....but be prepared to get wet....to get tired...and to have a hell of a time.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 12:11:11 am »
Here you get on a dock, bridge, pier or anchored boat with an out-going tide, a long dip net and several Coleman laterns hanging just above the water. When the shrimp and occasional blue crab come into the light just dip them and toss in the cooler.

Also take a big one and toss it out on a rod for Snook while shrimping.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 12:36:53 am »
We usually used a castnet(4'to6') and cast out of our boat during low water in the tidal marsh creeks.
  In SC it is legal to bait shrimp like BeetleBailey said. We used fish meal mixed with mud. Make balls anout the size of a softball and let them dry out in the sun. Push long poles(bamboo or PVC) to mark where ball is dropped. This method is done during high tide and the shrimp(big ones) would come out of the march to get the bait. You make one throw of the castnet at each pole(placed 10' to 20' apart) then move to the next one. When you get to the end of the line of poles(10) you go back and start again.
  If you know of a shallow sandy area with eel grass you can drag a seine net through the eel grass and catch shrimp, sea horses, small fish, etc.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 04:13:38 am »
Ron that is funny and I sure hope so  ;D

Thanks for the great info. I'm going to look into the regs. I called a bait store down on the coast and "fresh dead" shrimp is going for $5 a lb.. Made my stomach turn. Not long ago it was $2 a lb...

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 09:19:14 am »
Down here( Fla) we use a hat type strong  LED light and wade the grass flats on a low tide .No moon nights are the best.Walk around an net "em up , a "Shrimpzilla" here and there is always a treat.
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 10:59:59 am »
$5 a lb is a pretty good price for shrimp(heads off) these days. We just bought $60 worth not long ago and froze them in 1# pkgs for later use. Our friends in Savannah know a shrimper and she gets them right off the boat.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 11:17:40 am »
I catch most of mine with my fingers,but occasionally use a fork.  :laugh:  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline cracker

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 07:47:57 pm »
I'm afraid I have to catch mine with a green hook. Just ain't the same as fresh of the boat or self caught.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 03:58:32 pm »
Around here the only shrimp we get are deveined and in the freezer section of the local grocery store.  We used to buy the tails that were not de-veined because they stayed on the hook better when fishing for catfish, but can't get those anymore.

Would love to be able to buy one pound frozen blocks of shrimp heads to use for bait, now those ought to stay on the hook!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 06:45:28 pm »
   My brother lives in SC WE CAMPED AND FISHED THE WHAT THEY CALL THE BACK WATERS. I'd never seen  them caught before. One time camping and fishing there was a friend of his along. He used a casting net. But he used 40% bran flakes. Like we use to use for carp.
  He made fist size bran flake balls for bait. And put them out and for 5 to 10 mins he's toss hand fulls of flakes now and then,then throw his net. He had a 12 footer and I could tell he'd done this before. We had them boiled on the coals and put 15 or 20 on sticks and roasted over the coals. Diped in butter or BQ.
  MAKES ME WANT TO GET A NET. Even if I do live in WV.
 Another time my brother had a few pound and put them in a cooking bag BQ them. First time I'd ever had the in a cooking bag BQ. Now it's one of my favoret ways.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 03:18:11 pm »
Cip you either have a sane for them or use a  cast net unless you have a boat then you can use a trawl. shrimp traps aren't allowed in Texas :(
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995