Author Topic: Bulgarian black locust flatbow has come to life! (Pics)  (Read 10675 times)

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: Bulgarian black locust flatbow has come to life! (Pics)
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 10:38:42 am »
Thanks for the nice comments everyone :)

Badly Bent, I HATE tool marks! :D Ab-so-lu-te-ly hate them! It's not always easy to get them all out, and I've gotten blisters on my thumbs from sanding too much in the past. With black locust, it's not too difficult to get all the tool marks out. Cutting tool such as drawknife and scraper, also help to reduce tool marks.

Lesken, the tips are not that tiny on this bow. Sure, they are narrow, but I'm sure I could go even narrower, if I wanted to. The trick is to glue on sufficient 'meat' as a tip overlay, and not file grooves into the sides of the limbs. That last pic pretty much shows the tips I've come to prefer, lately.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline coaster500

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 10:50:47 am »
Long gracefull beauty!!!

I like it :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 11:50:49 am »
Excellent bow, I like black locust for bow wood.  What we have here performs well and has a lovely light brown color with hints of greenish gold.

Question, why make the knotty limb as the lower limb?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 12:11:22 pm »
Beautiful work on the whole package. Superb detail work, clean, crisp and classy. I really like the jay feather idea, may have to use it myself. ;)
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline kybow

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 01:49:17 pm »
Too cool! Looks great, I cant wait to work with Black Locust.  My dads buddy has a bunch of it on his property, he told me to take it all!

Offline oscar3b

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 02:05:54 pm »
Wow DarkSoul!  That bow is amazing!  I'm getting ready to cut some black locust soon myself.  KyBow I have all over my property too.  Really it's kind of everywhere here in Kentucky it seems like.  Now that I've seen yours I can't wait to start mine!
Ben

Berea, Kentucky
27" draw
30-70# (though I want to build to 125 one day)

Offline ksnow

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 02:51:04 pm »
Those are both stunning bows, really like the looks of that flatbow.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2012, 07:13:39 pm »
That feather is cool.   Oh yeah the bow is too!  ;D

I really like it.  As others have said, very nice!

Seriously though if you see feathers on any of my bows please take it as a compliment. :laugh:
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?