Author Topic: Small anecdote from today.  (Read 1905 times)

Offline LivingElemental

• Appalachi/Wataugi/East Tennessee
Small anecdote from today.
« on: July 23, 2012, 10:05:33 pm »
Maybe the wrong place to post this, so I can delete it if need be.

So I was examining a half-worked stave for the hundredth time today that I've got in my bedroom just hanging out leaning against a wall, when my 3 year old came running in and goes, "Wow! What's that?!"
The dialogue procedes as follows:

"It's gonna be a bow." "That's not a bow, it doesn't got a string!" "Well, it's not finished yet. I still have some work to do." "You can't forget the string and those sticks!" "What sticks?" "Those sticks you put with the bow so when you pull the string back and let go they fly away and kill people!"

I've never been so horrified and proud at the same time of my little girl. I guess she'll be the type to kill people for food when the world ends.
Alzamaal illi yadour 'ala qurnayn fakhira, yarja' idhana maqtu'a.

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Small anecdote from today.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 11:27:18 pm »
Maybe the wrong place to post this, so I can delete it if need be.

So I was examining a half-worked stave for the hundredth time today that I've got in my bedroom just hanging out leaning against a wall, when my 3 year old came running in and goes, "Wow! What's that?!"
The dialogue procedes as follows:

"It's gonna be a bow." "That's not a bow, it doesn't got a string!" "Well, it's not finished yet. I still have some work to do." "You can't forget the string and those sticks!" "What sticks?" "Those sticks you put with the bow so when you pull the string back and let go they fly away and kill people!"

I've never been so horrified and proud at the same time of my little girl. I guess she'll be the type to kill people for food when the world ends.

You should be very proud, she is a very smart girl. That is exactly what they are for and have been for 1000's of years, and for her to know that at such a young age as 3 years I would say indicates a very high intelligence. My wife has a 15 year old nephew, and I was showing him some of my bows one day. He thought that the bow worked by the string stretching like a rubberband instead of the limbs bending. ;D But he sure knows how to navigate facebook like a pro...  ::)
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline LivingElemental

• Appalachi/Wataugi/East Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 12:35:48 am »
She's a hell of a lot smarter than I was as a kid, I can tell you that. I'm having to teach the kid next door (10yrs old and wants to be a pro shot with a bow) more physics and common sense than I believe his brain has the capacity for.
Alzamaal illi yadour 'ala qurnayn fakhira, yarja' idhana maqtu'a.

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 05:11:12 am »
Great ;D, kids are great for cutting through the bull.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 05:57:57 am »
 :) :) :)
I get the same mixed emotion feeling when my daughter talks about killing.  Lately, the killing thing is focused on monsters.  That is fine by me...nsters are good practice for food or villian.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso