Author Topic: Need your advice - small splinter on belly  (Read 2416 times)

Offline arklowrebel

Need your advice - small splinter on belly
« on: July 23, 2012, 11:55:17 am »
Hi Guys

I finished (or thought I had finished) my first adult-sized bow last week (http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,33986.0.html).  It has been performing quite well until yesterday I noticed a small splinter rising on the belly of the upper limb about five inches above the grip - just above the fade.  The splinter runs vertically and has risen where one growth ring feathers down into another.  The splinter is small - 1/32nd" wide and 1/8th" long.  the bow is ash, backed with rawhide and salmon skin.

I stopped shooting once I spotted the splinter.  I was going to retire the bow and simply start work on another one, but I had built the bow to shoot it in the Irish Championships this coming weekend and I am inclined to try to repair it or break it in the attempt.

The bow is stained and varnished with polyurethane.  Can I simply sand off the varnish and stain, glue down the splinter with superglue and re-finish?  I can't get sinew here so wrapping it with that is not an option.

Or maybe I'm just over-reacting and it's not a big problem.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.  Sorry there's no pic but the splinter just won't show up in one because it is so small.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Need your advice - small splinter on belly
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 12:04:27 pm »
Will you post pics of the splinter?  Does the splinter run across the limb or along it?  Generally the belly won't splinter unless the bow is bent backwards.
  Unless it is a fret(compression fracture) super glue should fix it. A splinter on the belly shouldn't be a problem for the bow because it is in compression. 

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline arklowrebel

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 12:11:31 pm »
Thanks Pat.  I'll do what I can to get a picture up ASAP.  The splinter runs along the limb; not across.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 12:22:35 pm »
I've had a couple do that.  Usually its because I had gotten careless removing wood from the belly and had a tear out go deeper than I thought.  In both cases, I superglued em back down and have had no further problems with them.  Josh

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 12:28:21 pm »
 SUPER GLUE
 Never seen a belly splinter. Belly wood only cystializes. I 'd like to see a pic's. also.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 12:31:39 pm »
1/32nd" wide and 1/8th" long? That sounds like, uhm, microscopic. If I understand you correctly, it's one growth ring that has 'delaminated' and lifted from the rest of the limb, correct? Sounds like it's too small to bother about. But I need to see a pic to be sure. As long as the tiller hasn't changed since, I don't think you need to worry too much. Try chipping the splinter off (don't pull it out; it'll run deeper). Then sand the gap with fine sandpaper. A lil' drop of superglue will prevent future propblems in that area.

Take a picture outside, in broad daylight, with the camera set on "macro". That's the button with the little flower icon.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline arklowrebel

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 12:59:47 pm »
Thanks all - you've left me very relieved so far.

Will do DarkSoul - soon as I get home.  Your read of the situation makes lots of sense.

:) :)

Offline arklowrebel

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 06:15:18 am »
OK guys.  I reckon I was panicking.  Your answers yesterday reassured me.  I am attaching a pic of the splinter (as well as I could photograph it), but I attacked it last night and the repair work is well underway.  Thanks again for your help.