Author Topic: white ash weight vs hickory.  (Read 4396 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

white ash weight vs hickory.
« on: July 22, 2012, 07:49:31 pm »
Been a while since i handled white ash, but I just cut some pieces a few weeks ago and noticed it seems really light in hand compared to hickory. I dont really remember this being the case, but it's been a while.  Just wondering if others find that white ash is light weight compared to hickory or elm, or perhaps its just the location that i cut it in.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Slackbunny

Re: white ash weight vs hickory.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 10:56:05 pm »
Hickory has a SG of about .72 and white ash has a SG of 0.54 to 0.66. So it is definitely lighter than hickory.  At its heaviest ash is about 90% of the weight of a comparable piece of hickory, and at its lightest it is only 75% of the weight of hickory. So if you have a light piece of ash it would probably be noticeably lighter.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 01:19:40 am »
Yep, all the ash I've used was much lighter than the hickory.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 05:14:40 am »
European ash can vary enormously in specific gravity. Some pieces can be as dense as hickory, while some are as dense as spruce. Accordingly, there is also a huge variation in the quality of the wood - the higher SG obviously being much better. The less earlywood and the more latewood, the better the piece. Some ash can be exceptional quality, while the majority is just 'nice' at best. The lower SG wood is so weak, that you need to design the bow as if the wood were spruce...
I'm pretty sure the same will account for American white ash, although maybe to a lesser extent. If possible (when buying a board for example) get a piece with fat rings, thin earlywood and a lot of latewood.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286