Author Topic: Best fix for crysals or hinge?  (Read 1731 times)

Offline Easternarcher

Best fix for crysals or hinge?
« on: July 21, 2012, 10:26:58 pm »
Folks, I'm trying to get a bow finished for a guy......
Thought I had it done, but after bunch of shots, it has developed a slight hinge and now I see some cresols or fine fractures on the belly.
It's a hickory backed yellowheart - slight R/D. I'm looking for 30-40 lbs at 28in. Bow is 66" ntn.
The problem area is within 6-8 in. of the fade on the upper limb. Is there any repairs that will save this bow?
I've seen where someone cut out the damaged area and laminated in new wood and re-tillered. Would that work?
Could I laminate a veneer of bamboo or more yellow heart onto the belly and re-tiller that? basically trapping the crystalled belly into a corewood.
I'm running out of wood here!
I will try to post a pic or two later.

Offline Badger

Re: Best fix for crysals or hinge?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 12:44:10 am »
  I would not fix a bow like that and give it away! For yourself yes you can glue a patch over it and retiller it.

Offline LivingElemental

• Appalachi/Wataugi/East Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 12:52:14 am »
I don't send out a bow with my name on it unless i feel it's perfect, but yeah that's fixable.
Alzamaal illi yadour 'ala qurnayn fakhira, yarja' idhana maqtu'a.

Offline scp

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 01:01:12 am »
Patching would work, but probably too unseemly to be given away. You can laminate a bamboo strip on the belly. But tillering would be more difficult. You probably can laminate an ipe strip after removing most of the yellowheart. You can also "trap" the bow by narrowing the bamboo backing rather severely and shorten the bow to maintain the draw weight. Have you heat treated the belly?

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 05:58:21 pm »
Patching would work, but probably too unseemly to be given away. You can laminate a bamboo strip on the belly. But tillering would be more difficult. You probably can laminate an ipe strip after removing most of the yellowheart. You can also "trap" the bow by narrowing the bamboo backing rather severely and shorten the bow to maintain the draw weight. Have you heat treated the belly?
Hi, no, this has a hick backing, so the hinge was my fault.
I thought about laminating something over it, but the hint would still be there unless the lam is thick enough to re-tiller. I'd do this as an experiment for myself, but not for someone else.
Personally, I think I'll keep it myself and do another...He deserves the best I can do, not second rate.
Thanks for the replies.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 06:11:44 pm »
  If your building a bow for someone else. Start over I'd never send someone a bow thats not up to my standards. I do it like this, how would you feel if someone sent you a bow that nots 100% correct. So if the bow dos'nt suit me I'm not ponding it off on someone else. If you buy a bow you sure don't want to spend your money on a bow thats not up to par. Same go's with me if I'm going to give it away.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING