Author Topic: Whew! Just got a scare.  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Slackbunny

Whew! Just got a scare.
« on: July 22, 2012, 05:43:23 pm »
So I was putting the short string on a new bow for the first time. I was coming on to it pretty good to get that string into the nock when I heard a very pronounced CRRAAACK! So I shouted a string of curse words not appropriate for a public forum, and started examining the bow. I looked along the whole length of it convinced that I would find a terrible fracture at any moment, but when my eyes reached the end of the bow I was relived to find a nice clean break right where I had glued on a tip overlay. It broke right along the glue line, so it was an easy fix. I modified the overlay slightly and glued her back on. I'll be able to continue tillering tomorow, but man that got my heart racing.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Whew! Just got a scare.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 05:48:00 pm »
Let's hope your heart rate slackens a little. 

I have a bow that for some reason only gets one side of the upper nocks filled with loop....just about full draw the other side of the loop slides into the nock...."snap".  And bloooooey goes my blood pressure!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 06:30:33 pm »
Ha, yeah that happens to me too with one of my bows. I'll get it just about to full draw, and then hear the string snap into place. Freaks you out pretty good.

Offline sonny

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 06:33:56 pm »
what freaks me out is when I'm drawing a new bow and bump it against something.
that'll get the heart rate up a little as well!
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 06:49:18 pm »
Or when a limb hits a tree branch when you release the string!!!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 06:57:58 pm »
  If your over lay popped off it's likely happen because the tip has some bend in it. Only reason I can see a over lay popping off.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 07:09:32 pm »
  If your over lay popped off it's likely happen because the tip has some bend in it. Only reason I can see a over lay popping off.

I don't think that was the issue. When I looked closely at the two surfaces there didn't appear to be much for glue between them. I think I might have starved the joint. Either way, it should be fixed now.

I've also had my tillering tree creak and snap under load before. Not a good sound to hear when your putting pressure on a bow of unknown integrity.