Author Topic: Strange Spectator  (Read 1906 times)

Offline Alaric

Strange Spectator
« on: July 16, 2012, 10:33:38 am »
As I have mentioned in another thread I try and get in 2 rounds every morning before I leave for work, this morning after the first shot I happen to glance down toward the pond and there was a large doe standing there watching me. She continued to watch me for 4 or 5 more shots before she turned and walked quickly (but not running) back into the woods. She is out here most mornings but usually leaves as soon as she hears us moving around in the house.

Richard

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Strange Spectator
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 12:00:54 am »
I was tuning broadheads two years ago and getting pretty happy with what was hitting the straw bales when two mature bighorn sheep walked around the corner and started nibbling lawn between me and the bales!!! 

Anyone else ever weep in frustration?

And then there was that one time working at Mount Rushmore when I forgot to bring my bow to work with me!  Oh, and I was only 20 yds from the Law Enforcement Center in the Park, too.  Yeah.  *sigh*  I feel your pain, Richard.  I really do, brother.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 03:26:07 pm »
Cool stories.

In Nebraska, opening week of archery season, I was practicing out in the yard by the barn.  I shot a few arrows into the 3D target (deer) laid my bow down (with the bow quiver full of hunting arrows) and walked to the target.  As I pulled arrows a doe came out of the woods and walked about 30 yards from me beyond the target.  When she got behind a shed I ran back to the bow.  By the time I'd picked it up she was standing in the driveway watching me.  At the first step towards her she snorted and ran off.  Somewhere I have a picture of a fawn in the spring sniffing the butt of my 3D deer target.  I assume it wondered if it was "mom".  That happened more than once.  Living with deer was fun, but I only got a shot off once at one in the yard...and I missed.  They have a 6th sense about whether you're hunting them or not.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 01:30:30 pm »
@JW - is that You in theat NPS parkee uniform?  Scary looking guy there!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 02:47:12 pm »
Nah, that's just some fugly guy that looked like me once upon a time.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 04:12:34 pm »
Looks like you're telling a fish story ...
St Paul, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 04:13:25 pm »
I gave up fishing for tiger hunting!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 04:15:05 pm »
I saw...same end game. :)
St Paul, TX