Author Topic: Mystery Rock of the Month!!!  (Read 1286 times)

Offline chertle

Mystery Rock of the Month!!!
« on: July 16, 2012, 05:23:32 pm »
Went for a quick rock run yesterday just to see if we could find anything in the dry creeks around home.  We kept coming across this rock that is somewhat knappable but not.  It weighs a ton and is all over the creeks with large sandstone, geode, and a little bit of chert deposits.  We are in Southern Indiana.......someone mentioned basalt?  Anyone have any ideas?  I am gonna try to make a point out of it and try cooking some to see if it changes anything.
Leslie
Indiana

Offline RickB

Re: Mystery Rock of the Month!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 06:54:55 pm »
There should be a lot of limestone in southern Indiana. Looks like a piece of it. Rick B

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 08:28:57 am »
Yeah, it's not limestone. It flakes a lot like rhyolite but is in lenses and nodules under the sandstone around the clay layer. Heavy like cannon ball.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 10:36:21 am »
Hey chertle: i picked up a piece similar to that, prolly in the same creek. Stitched it out with a hammerstone while in there and have yet to work on it. I may go dig it outa the pile and give it whirl, hmm... Seems like purty good stuff.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline chessieboy

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 09:44:03 am »
Just from the look of the stone it may work better with a good water treatment.  Good luck Bill