Author Topic: bow repair ???  (Read 1438 times)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
bow repair ???
« on: August 27, 2012, 11:01:33 pm »
So, a few months ago I built a bamboo backed ERC bow. Turned out sweet as pie, but after about 50 or so shots those darns stress fractures on the belly showed up. I'm guessing the bamboo overpowered the ERC, cause it was rather thick compared to the erc. Anyway, I'd hate to waste that bamboo. I'm pondering the idea of removing all erc, or just flatten it so I can glue on some other type of belly lam. I have hickory, ash, maple, quarter sawn red and white oak I could use for belly lams. What do you all think would be the best route? Thanks for any and all input.

Tattoo Dave

Rockford, MI

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: bow repair ???
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 11:31:54 pm »
I did some belly lams with osage that turned out good. I notice it is not on your list. I am currently working some white oak that seems really hard. I would probably go with that out of the ones you listed.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 08:53:46 am »
Thanks Kenny. Those lams listed are just what I already have on hand. I don't have any osage lams.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 09:52:05 am »
Dave,
     Of the woods that you have, I'd have to say either the hard maple or the white oak....whichever of the two seems to be the most dense. Flatten the belly, glue the belly lam. and put it into about 1" to 1-1/2" of perry reflex. It should stop all the compression damage.
    I got a project similiar to that and am takin pictures of @ step to post up.....soon as the trade bow is finished.
rich

Offline LimbLover

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 12:58:07 pm »
I'm hoping you can fix it Dave! That bow was a looker for sure. I'd love to see it removed from that scrap pile.  ;)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 01:05:43 pm »
How is the tiller Dave? Maybe figure out the problem, then the solution?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 05:39:20 pm »
Thanks Rich. I'm thinking that white oak.

Thanks Nick, if it wasn't for you pulling it out of the scrap pile, it would still be sitting there. I kinda forgot about it.

Hey Chris, that tiller was spot on. It was looking and shooting fine at first. It had maybe 1" of set, then all the sudden the set increased drastically, like 3-3.5" set, got real spongy. Then I looked at the belly and there was a bunch of compression fractures, big ones.
Rockford, MI

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 05:58:07 pm »
Sounds like perfectly normal ERC to me! It may be a great core wood if you decide to add an Ipe, osage or something to the belly.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.