Author Topic: Hickory Find  (Read 1184 times)

Offline DennisM

Hickory Find
« on: July 19, 2012, 11:39:28 pm »
For over a year now I have been keeping an eye out for some bow wood, no easy task for a South Florida guy living in the suburbs.  Monday my son in law texted me that he found a hickory blown down by a storm.  I went out and looked and started formulating a plan to get it out.  The weather finely cooperated today.  This is a huge find for me and should keep me busy for a while.  The heat about killed us and we had to change plans about splitting into staves in the field.  It measured 11" at the small end after the bark was removed. Well its in my garage now, check it out.

Dennis

Offline TacticalFate

Re: Hickory Find
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 11:42:26 pm »
Sweet! I'm kinda in your position, I'm always on the lookout for trees downed by the Parks Department...All I got here in Brooklyn are street trees, and they tend to grow really twisted...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hickory Find
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 12:03:04 am »
Nice haul, Dennis. Take a break and let that hickory rest just as it is until it is more comfortable to work.  Hickory is wonderful bow wood. Let it age gracefully!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC