Author Topic: Hickory backed African Rosewood  (Read 2625 times)

Offline NeillU

Hickory backed African Rosewood
« on: July 19, 2012, 10:08:50 am »
Hi guys

I'm new to the forum, from South Africa. Just want to know, has anyone around here glued up and made a proper hickory backed African rosewood flatbow/longbow? Any advise on the make or break?
Sounds like a good combo to me, I'm trying to stick to wood only (non man made materials).
Haastige hond, verbrand sy mond! :P

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: Hickory backed African Rosewood
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 10:44:07 am »
I have not tried the wood you speak of but
Welcome to PA !!!
Have fun !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 11:22:08 am »
I have made a few hickory backed bows, but never with that belly wood. Sorry I can't address it specifically. Welcome to the site, though. I'm sure some of these guys with more experience than me (I'm a relative newbie) will chime in eventually.  You'll get a lot of helpful info if you stick around.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline coaster500

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 11:51:27 am »
Welcome to PA :)

Here is a post from Marc St Lewis...   http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=7776.0

It's bamboo backed rosewood...  I have no experience with this type of build but I think you will get lots of help here ...  good luck and post pictures :)

I was in SA in May...  had a great time!!!

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 02:17:09 pm »
Welcome Neill!

Can you somehow find out what species of wood the belly actually is? "African rosewood" could either be bubinga (Guibourtia sp.) or one of several true rosewood species that grow in Africa (Dalbergia sp.). Either way, these species will probably all be dense and hard. That would make them a good candidate for a a belly, generally speaking. Hickory would be an excellent backing, so I think you're pretty much safe to go! I'm quite surprised you can actually get hickory in South Africa; it's not a really common wood around the world. If you can't figure out the exact wood species, your best bet would be to measure the specific gravity of the wood, and design the bow accordingly, with some margin of safety.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline NeillU

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 04:54:21 am »
Thanks for the replies guys  :D I'm going to give that a try this weekend!

I get some hickory from a Rare Woods supplier, they stock all kinds of nice woods to play with! Thanks for all the kind replies, I will try and take some photos this time of the build along :P

Oh btw this african rosewood is the "Guibourtia coleosperma" species

Also going to try a stave selfbow design with some Ironwood (Olea Capensis) :) and some Assegaai (Curtisia dentata), anyways will keep u guys posted! Many ideas with not a lot of time, as always!

cheers

Offline NeillU

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 04:57:02 am »
I'm really lazy when it comes to photos, only took some from after the weekends work. Glue up was done with the riser, cut out to rough shape, left it for 2 days and started working on it. Here's some photies, will add more soon when tillering commences. :) Finished her off to floor tiller specs last night, narrowing down from the fade outs, and got the tips nice and thin and smooth (at 1/2" now). Will start teaching the wood to bend tonight, gona take it sloooow on this one!

Offline coaster500

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 11:57:22 am »
Looks great!!

I'd like to see a picture of the belly side.

Keep it up :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)