Author Topic: Turkeys...tremble ye with much fear and trepidation!  (Read 5781 times)

Offline Ifrit617

Re: Turkeys...tremble ye with much fear and trepidation!
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 02:29:36 pm »
Gorgeous... I really want to get into flintlocks and black powder... They are traditional and stunning looking weapons..

Jon

Offline robby

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 04:40:29 pm »
JW, Smoothbore flintlocks and turkey's go together like PB&J! Very nice, I see years of enjoyment in your future!!!

Like Archery, I get as much enjoyment in making this stuff as I do using it.
Robby
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 04:45:58 pm by robby »

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 08:41:12 pm »
What a beautiful smoke pole dub.could stare at that stock for days i could :o
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 10:22:05 pm »
Robbie m'laddie, that is one fine charcoal belcher you got there!  The simple incise carving blending the wrist into the stock is superb!  Didja build her yourself?

I got a frock coat like that yours in a dusty green and tan fringe, nice camo!  I am always pleased to see how my re-enactor friends melt into the background without putting on super high tech stealth technology stinkproof radar reflecting digital photo quality giclee print modern gear!  There is much more to woodsmanship than just buying something off the racks at Cabellas!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 03:24:06 pm »
Nice looking smoke pole. Black powder is on my bucket list. But i need another hobby like I need another hole in my head. I'm afraid of what Ms. Kerrie will do with the ramrod.  :o Good luck with them gobblers
thanks leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline mitch

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2012, 02:52:19 am »
Oh how jealuos i am!!! ;D Ever since I first saw an old western where a smoke pole such as that beauty was used I have forever been in love  :) :) :) good luck and keep your powder dry.
"Any old stick will do for a bow, but the arrow gets the deer." Ishi

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2012, 10:07:18 pm »
Anyone that has not owned one of these guns owes it to themselves to kiss up to some unkempt hairbag mountain man, offer to buy him a coupla pounds of DuPont, and go out and stink up with some hotsmoke!  It addicts as bad or worse than osage/yew/blacklocust/(your favorite wood here). 

Offline Josh B

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2012, 01:51:08 am »
Oh my!  That is a beauty!  I'm more than a little envious.  Gorgeous wood, flowing lines, exquisite fit and finish, ................  sorry, had to wipe a little slobber off my screen.  Nice thunderstick just doesn't quite cut it.  The turkeys will farely line up for the honor of being shot with that lovely piece!  Josh

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2012, 02:08:40 am »
Then there was the guy that hired a guide thru the Turkey Track Club to hunt here in the Black Hills.  The feller guiding part-time for extra spending mopney on his days off was a Conservation Officer...and he told the client this.  Well, this feller is a durn good turkey caller and he had 6 big-fat-paintbrush bearded gobblers trotting down the deer trail towards their set up.  He was about to whisper to the client, "Wait until they break up and fan out before you pick Mr. Big!" when the guy pulls the trigger. 

Five mature birds bit the dust deader than the client's bootheels.  The guide turned to him and quietly asked him, "You did understand when I said I was a Conservation Officer that meant I am an EFFING GAME WARDEN? Right?"

True story. 

Josh, you will forgive me if I hope and pray they don't line up for me!

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2012, 01:28:37 pm »
@JW - Here in California they added turkeys to the depredation list - problem is if you get a tag(s) and kill the birds the law says you are not supposed to eat them! So, whats the point. Broods here this summer have been from ten to twenty poults! Ive been tryin to get them with my van!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2012, 04:01:47 pm »
Sure.  I hereby vow and promise I will shoot but not eat any depredation tag turkeys in California.  *fingers crossed behind my back*

::)