Author Topic: I have been had...  (Read 8225 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
I have been had...
« on: July 19, 2012, 05:34:22 am »
I have wanted a little two man bass buster type boat for Diego and I to go out in and have some fun.. I found one three hours away. I traded a PSE bow that I had had for four years and never shoot. Never did get around to buying sights or arrows for it. I bought it off a world champion 3D shooter that is sponsored by PSE. It had all the gadgets and it was an engineering and mechanical marvel. I has happy to be rid of it.

Well I borrowed my dad truck, and drove three hrs south. I got a nice 9 year old 10'2" bass hound with a working live well and a 24 lb trolling motor. The young man said in is ad and to me, "you don't have to register it of you don't put a gas motor on it and I can't find the title."

I believed him. I could have called or asked on here, but I trusted a stranger. Maybe because I really wanted it. I got the boat on July 1. I found out on the 6th that I infancy needed to register it of it has a trolling motor. No problem. He said he could get me the title. I called him that day and he said, "I'm out of town until the 12th. When I get back in town on the 12th I will get it and send you the paperwork."

I waited until the 13th. I didn't want to bug the guy on his vacation. I sent him a message. No reply. I sent him another one the next day. And the next and the next. Nada..

So now I have a nice bass hound with a trolling motor sitting on my small utility trailer that I CAN NOT use. I drove 6 hrs to get it and spent $70 in gas and everyday Diego ask me when we are taking the boat out....

I feel like Tom when Jerry has out smarted him.... So if you have some ocean front property in Arizona hit me up... I'm in a buying mood.. No title.. No problem..

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
Re: I have been had...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 06:30:57 am »
I used to work with a guy that did the same thing years ago.  If the boat does not have to be seen to get it registered, tell them it is a homemade boat.  Then, go home and make something to mount on the front of it.  Use your imagination.  I mounted antler rod holders on one for a guy I used to work with, and believe me, it made that boat.  Anyway, every law has a loophole.  You get your numbers, you made something on the boat.  Its all nice and legal.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 06:39:14 am »
if it's got the old numbers you should be able to get the reg. tell them lost papers, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 09:29:37 am »
Here in IN, all you need to do is contact the local game warden to schedule a site visit and verify any manufacturers info etc. As long as it comes back not stolen they issue papers that let you get it registered. Got to be something like that in TX

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Stringman

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 09:30:49 am »
Better start at the local police station... If it's been stolen, the previous owner might be real happy to get it back.  :o

Scott

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 12:57:45 pm »
That my friend is a tough break - Bite the bullet - get it checked by F&G - Whos knows it could really be that easy and you and Diego will be out hunting for fish.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 01:06:15 pm »
Cip
Don't get distraught it will all work out !
Start at a locale marina and ask around someone will help ya out ,each state in differant !
In Ohio a boat that size is not titled just registered so no problem !
Take care
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 06:51:08 pm »
Do a title search on it and find out who really owns it then try to get them to sign it over to you.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 09:30:32 pm »
I bought mine for $50, couldn't get a title so I sold it in our yard sale for $50. ::)

My buddy is a Marine Patrol Deputy. He says those little boats are an easy ticket when they see one, seems everybody that owns one doesn't have a title.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 12:27:55 am »
That sux cip I ran into the same problem when I bought my first boat when I was a teen TPW wanted me to go down the line of owners getting the transfered title till it went back to its original owner so lame that ment I had to track down about 20 who didn't have the tittle and get them signe a waver till I go to the last signed person :( lucky for me I knew the person at the desk she gave me the title owners name :) which they weren't suppose to hehe and I called him up paid for the lost title and in a few weeks I had it. Hope you figure it out and get your title if you can't it would  be cheaper to just sell the boat and find or build a different  one. I learned the same as you.  never buy/trade for a boat unless the title is in hand now if you take the boat to a privetly owned lake then you dont have to register it ;) or get oars lol gl amigo hope it works out for ya
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 08:36:21 pm by criveraville »
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline iowabow

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 01:46:33 am »
Report it before you do anything or you become subject to the law. Right now you are clear from wrong doing. If it is not stolen then you are safe to proceed.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline agd68

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 11:13:00 am »
Don't feel bad, I made a similar mistake with an outboard motor to the tune of $ 400.00. Motor looked real good and clean, the fellow seemed trust worthy. He said it had belonged to an old gent who lived next door and had passed away the previous spring. The old gal gave it to him for helping her clean out his shed and keeping up the grounds for her. He said it worked great when he laid it up before winter but it was just too small for his boat. Long story short..it didn't work. When I took it to the shop to get it fixed the mechanic asked if I bought it second hand then showed me where the serial numbers should have been but were not there. He said it was probably stolen at some point in it's life. Up here the shops wont sell parts or service an engine with out the serial #. He was good and gave me the serial # off a junked motor so I can get parts but have to get my buddy to do any work on it. Lesson learned. See it run, see the numbers or walk away
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 08:27:00 pm »
Here in VA all you have to do is fill out some paperwork and send it in for a new title.  With a little money of course.  As long as you have a bill of sale or something you are good to go.
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 08:34:04 pm »
My advice is to stay away from anything with a motor, you seem to have NO luck with motorized vehicles. I am seeing a article for PA coming up....The life and times of a bowyer being burned! ::)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 05:03:49 am »
My advice is to stay away from anything with a motor, you seem to have NO luck with motorized vehicles. I am seeing a article for PA coming up....The life and times of a bowyer being burned! ::)

Brian that's funny.. Yes sir... You should hear the 19 inch 3 horse power Grizzly band saw story...

I finally got a response from the former owner. He applied for the title, send me a pic of the receipt, and sent me a p-134 form.. I guess that's to transfer the title over to my name. So in about 3 weeks I should have the title and then I can register it and take it out on the lake... During school of course  >:D

What chaps me most is that I was under the impression that I would get to use it the very next day or two. Not two months later.. Oh well.. At least once it's registered it will be smooth sailing.. Sort of..

My wife said I need to stay off Craigslist  ;)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.