Author Topic: My First Yew Bow  (Read 4382 times)

Offline RyanY

My First Yew Bow
« on: July 17, 2012, 09:45:16 pm »
As the title suggests, here it is. The piece of yew was a short clean cut from a small diameter branch. I've had it for a few years and wasn't sure what to do with it since I couldn't think of how to cut it to get a good bow from it. Finally just went for it. I cut along the horizontal axis as if the branch were still in the tree so one half had some reflex and the other half had a lot of deflex. Tried to straighten out the deflex with some dry heat but it all came back during tillering. Still one of my prettier bows, if I do say so myself, and it seems to shoot well enough. Also an interesting note is that the limbs are different densities due to how the branch was cut so the lower branch has many more rpi than the upper one and is thus smaller in thickness. 62" ntn, handle is 1" wide by 1.5" deep by 5" long, 1.5" fades, 1.5" wide to mid limb then tapering to 1/2" nocks, about 35#@28". The skins were left over from another bow and are timber rattlers. Bone was used for the nocks, the arrow rest, and the arrow plate. Thanks for looking! :)

Bottom nock

Upper nock

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: My First Yew Bow
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 09:55:05 pm »
Nice job. I had a similar idea for some left over skins. Yours turned out great.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 10:30:07 pm by lesken2011 »
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 10:06:34 pm »
very nice!

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 10:24:53 pm »
  Very nice job on that one!

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 12:26:30 am »
sweet looking bow
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 01:15:32 am »
O man, I hate to tiller when they do that.  Looks like you did well on it.  Very pretty bow, I really like the bone work.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline coaster500

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 02:41:44 am »
That is a good looking stick!! I like the use of the skins and I'll probably steal it :) Well done!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 04:14:04 am »
Sweet little bow. Yup I like the nocks too.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 05:46:28 am »
Yew did great! Looks like it took a little bit of set but that's alright!
Good job looks like a good shooter!
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline RyanY

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 08:02:00 am »
Thanks for the kind words gents! :)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 01:25:12 pm »
Very nice work Ryan! When i talked to you at mojam about your erc stave, I knew you looked familiar.  I feel pretty stupid about asking you if you've built many bows. I apologize for that.  How did that big knot turn out?  Hopefully its solid and hard.  After you soak it with superglue, I would recommend wrapping it.  I look forward to seeing your progress on it.  Josh

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 03:17:16 pm »
Saw that bow at MOJam. Very cool!

Offline bcbull

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 07:07:15 pm »
hey ryqan nice job it s nice hope that knoty yew stave u have  turns out that good ha  brock

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 07:22:09 pm »
Yet another beautiful yew bow on here...like the skin accents ...shure os purdy ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline RyanY

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 08:29:35 pm »
Thanks guys!  ;D

Gun Doc, No worries man! The knot is quite solid. I'll be sure to soak it with super glue but by the looks of it, it might not even absorb very much. I got some rawhide on the way and am doing something special but different with the smaller knots. Hopefully it'll come out. I'll be sure to post the result be it a bow or an explosion.

bcbull, Thanks man. I'll be sure to post it here when I get around to it. Such a wonderful gift will take a lot of my time.