Author Topic: Bow backing with Chinook Salmon?  (Read 6372 times)

Loogster

Bow backing with Chinook Salmon?
« on: September 13, 2007, 02:24:33 pm »
I was reading how it has been pioneered using fish skin as a backing but all I have ever seen is Sturgeon used. Im a chinook fishing fanatic and as the season has started random thought, back a bow with it? Anyone heard of it? If so some instructions on tanning it would be greatly appreciated  ;D

Offline DanaM

Re: Bow backing with Chinook Salmon?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 03:04:37 pm »
No tanning necessary, I guess scale it flesh it well tack it skin side down to dry. Then when ready to use rehydrate it some and glue er down.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 03:17:25 pm »
I've never used salmon skins but I would do as Dana said.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Loogster

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 03:18:45 pm »
Soon as I actually get a chance to go fishing ill put it to good use and put some pics up  ;)
This place is addicting

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 03:30:22 pm »
Yea we like pictures, and up addicting as all heck ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 10:54:03 pm »
 Send me enough to back a bow and I'll try it.I'll send you something good in return.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline butch

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 11:04:18 pm »
i am trying to do it with stripped bass. will titebond2 work and do i leave the natural back on a hickory or plane it smoth. not trying to rob your thread . butch

Offline BryanB

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 12:23:43 am »
I have looked in to doing the same thing.  Lots of Chinook in OR.  I would probably add the skins green.  Flesh and wash really well with Dawn, then roll up and freeze until ready.  Chinook skins get really brittle when dry.  Also most of the black flecks in the pattern are removed when scalled.  It's certainly worlth a try.  I'll be adding mine green.
Bryan

Robinwho

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 12:38:07 am »
Salmon skin is very oily , so if you don't remove the oil it will not glue properly.
I use denature alcohol to remove the oils, wash at least 3 times in alcohol, before attempting to glue.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 12:46:54 am »
The Dawn liquid that Bryan referred to will take the oil out as well as anything. I'm looking forward to your outcome. Take pics. ;D
Bryan, if you are Portland Bryan I sent you a PM on TradGang.                Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Robinwho

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 02:52:20 pm »
The Dawn liquid that Bryan referred to will take the oil out as well as anything. I'm looking forward to your outcome. Take pics. ;D
Bryan, if you are Portland Bryan I sent you a PM on TradGang.                Pat

If dawn would remove fish oils that well , I would use it in my tannery where we process 20 million fish skins for the shoe and purse industry. Salmon is the worse oil ever.

Loogster

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 09:38:31 pm »
hmmm this could be a fun experiment then....
wash in alcohol first...three times...put on green. I guess we will find out.
Mullet soon as actually get a chance to catch some ill send you some hopefully. ill let you know as soon as I bring some in.
This year is supposed to be really slow on the chinook. Im depressed about the numbers ive been looking at. just means it will be that much better next year  ;D
If its bad i could always bow fish a big sucker and use that  ;)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 10:44:07 pm »
  Loogster,I was just playing with you.I'd like to try them,but I'd also like to see you learn something about backing skins also.I can learn that way too.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2007, 01:46:45 am »
Hi Folks,  Wasn't there an article on using grass carp skins in PA last spring?  As I remember oil in the skin was definitly a problem, and needed to be removed before guing on.  Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Loogster

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2007, 01:27:04 pm »
well hopefully i will have enough to spare to send to you mullet but ill tell you in a few weeks. Fishing gets hot soon as October rolls around.