Author Topic: Do you need a permit to collect obsidian at the Buttes in Oregon?  (Read 4665 times)

Offline Wolf Watcher

Its been a long time since I visited the Buttes and my friend from Yakima was wondering if a permit is required now?  If a permit is required, do you have to go all the way to Burns to pick it up?  Thanks for any information!  A/Ho Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
Re: Do you need a permit to collect obsidian at the Buttes in Oregon?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 01:14:59 am »
No permit required as of last March.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Will H

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 09:41:40 am »
I think you need a permit for anything over 100lbs :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Newbow

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 09:12:08 pm »
The following is extracted from "Rock Collecting Guide, Oregon & Washington, U.S. Bureau of Land Management".  These were the guidelines in effect as of the spring of this year, 2012.

• GENERAL INFORMATION: A wide variety of rocks, minerals, and semi-precious gemstones is available for collecting on 16 million acres of lands managed by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM) in Oregon and Washington. Most BLM lands are open to rock collecting, and some areas, such as the Glass Buttes obsidian area in our Prineville District and a public sunstone area in our Lakeview District, have been specifically set aside for this purpose. Collectors should note that there are some restrictions and a BLM permit may be required, depending on the amount of material you collect, how you collect it, where or when you collect, and whether the material will be used commercially. The following information is provided for the public to be used as a general guide for collecting on BLM lands in Oregon and Washington.

• COLLECTING LIMITS & PERMITS: An individual can collect a reasonable amount of rocks and minerals from BLM lands, but a permit or fee may be required if certain amounts are exceeded, as described below. Note: Collecting limits for petrified wood are slightly different.

A Reasonable Daily Collecting  Amount

- fits into the trunk of a car or,

- is a partial pickup truck load and,
No fee or BLM permit is
- weighs less than 250 lbs.,
required.
- and the material is for non-commercial use.

(For petrified wood, see below)

More Than a Reasonable Daily Collecting  Amount

- is a full pickup truck load or,

- involves more than one trip (or partial load) and,
Fee and BLM permit are
- weighs more than 250 lbs.,
required.
- or the material is for commercial use,

- or explosives or power equipment is used.

(For petrified wood, see below)

• PETRIFIED WOOD: Collecting petrified wood is free up to 25 pounds per day) plus one piece, but no more than 250 pounds per year. Pooling of quotas among two or more people to obtain pieces over 250 pounds is prohibited. A permit is needed for amounts over these limits.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 10:26:35 pm »
New Bow:  Thanks for the information.  My friend has been supplying me with obsidian for the teaching I have been doing and says he needs to make a trip for more!  Years ago my knapping buddies and I would go to Richardson's rock ranch for knappins and and then to the Buttes.  Was the good old days!  Thanks again!  A/Ho Joe

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 01:09:27 am »
if its 250 pounds and under then NO...over that then yes...and the permit isnt that much...you should be able to get one here in prineville..richardson is still going strong...i wish they still had the knap-ins there...the lady there has told me some pritty good storys...john

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 07:24:07 am »
I always liked the knapins at Richardson's.  They had a pile of Piute agate and that has been my favorite knife making material.  There were some very skilled knappers at those get to gethers!  A/Ho Joe

Offline SiletzSpey

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 02:32:17 am »
You can collected up to 250/lbs per year at Glass Buttes without a permit. I gathered several memos from the BLM on the topic, and here was the last one they sent me:

http://www.barbless.com/share/paleoplanet69529-yuku-com/BLM%20Glass%20Buttes%20Handout%204-09.pdf

--SiletzSpey