Author Topic: Favourite Bows?  (Read 4574 times)

Offline WoodBenderDW

Favourite Bows?
« on: July 15, 2012, 07:58:56 pm »
Here is something I'm a little curous about.  Let's see what we get.  I'm sure everyone has a made a bow that is their favourite bow.  What I'm curous about is, do you use your favourite bow for target shooting, hunting or both?  Or what is your favourite bow for hunting and what is your favourite for target shooting?  Pics of your favourites would be cool too.

Offline RobWiden

Re: Favourite Bows?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 01:08:53 am »
    My favourite bow is usually the latest one that turned out the way it was supposed to. I like trying different woods and designs, but I like all the ones that work right.
If I knew what I was doing, I'd probably be bored with it, and I wouldn't be here.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 01:18:44 am »
My favorite bow of all times was a sinew backed mulberry.  Wish I hadn't given it away.  I hardly ever work mulberry any more as osage is local, plentiful and good.  Hate the knot clusters in mulberry too.  I do very little target shooting, but like to do 3d and use hunting bows for all.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 01:37:41 am »
My favorite target shooter was a HHB bow.  It wasn't fancy or shiney.  It had a plain bare grip, but it fit my hand perfectly.  I loved to shoot that bow, but I had to ship it off in the TG bow swap last year due to some last minute problems on the one I was working on.  I haven't made a go to hunting bow yet.  I'm still trying though.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 01:49:46 am »
My favorite bow is the bow I'm shooting now.   Usually it is my most recent. I don't think I have one bow in my possession or in my past that sticks out as a favorite. That would be like picking out a favorite child. They each have redeming values. At this time my favorite is a 57" sinew backed osage with kicked tips. 56#@26"   
  Which ever bow I'm shooting I use it for everything, hunting, target or whatever. That way I keep my muscles and my instinctive skills honed. When the moment comes I don't want to have to think about anything but where the arrow is going.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 01:59:44 am »
I agree with anyone who says it is hard to pick... but my favorite bow, Was my hickory Mi'kmaq. It is the black sheep out of all of my bows, the fact it is so unique, makes it stand out, I wouldnt have it any other way.
"If you open your mind for me
You won't rely on open eyes to see
The walls you build within come tumbling down
And a new world will begin" ----- Queensryche, "Silent Lucidity

R.H , Southeastern PA/Western PA.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 02:39:36 am »
My favorite bow to shoot is my plain jane Hackberry...  no tips, whisper quiet, fast and man it make out to be a better shot than I am???
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 09:21:38 am »
My fav would have to be a 61" osage takedown, barely an inch wide, and what I once thought way too thin on one tip. After being stashed in the failed bows pile for 2 years I retillered it some and discovered it not only isn't a kid's bow, but it isn't going to break at 27".
I have a couple pics somewhere I'll see if I can pull up.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline cracker

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 09:27:55 am »
My favorite bow was a 73 inch hickory drawing only about 51 lbs shot real smoth and consistent and besides Pappy has had a ball ribbing me about it for the last 5 years, so more than one person has gained much happiness from the bow. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 09:32:34 am »
Here are a couple pics; wish all my bows shot like this light-weight...
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 09:55:55 am »
I agree with Pat. Since I only have 8, so far under my belt, every time I finish one it is generally better than the last....so....the last one I made, for now.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 10:13:00 am »
What Pat said. My favorite bow is usually the latest too. But I shoot last years osage bow so well I rarely shoot my latest red oak bow. My bows are hunting bows. That is their purpose and I also use them for 3d. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 10:39:43 am »
My favorite bows are probably the ones I've collected from fellow bowmakers such as yourselves.  They hold a special spot for me.

Of my own though, I have a few favorites for different reasons.  My short Coral Snake horn bow that won BOM is up there.  I made a real snakey bow that calls to me every so often.  My bow that took the Eagle Eye at Denton Hills, which I've retired due to a lift around a pin knot. 

Currently though, my favorite and most recent build is a sinew backed, bendy handle bow that I made at the Tennessee Classic, this year.  It is a 52" ttt, 55# @ 26" plains style bow and is light as a feather.  It shoots right where I'm looking.  (When I'm in focus).  I will use this bow for target and hunting, as is my usual practice. 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 10:59:06 pm »
haven't made it yet!  hahaha.

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Favorite Bows?
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 11:02:02 am »
I had an osage bow that I hunted with for several years, the grip fit my hand better than an bow I have ever made. It was a good but not great shooter. It started developing mysterious cracks on the back .

I would sinew wrap a cracked section, shoot the bow a few months and another place would crack, more wrapping.

When it cracked for the third time I said "to heck with it" and put the bow up.

One day I was thinking about that great handle, how it fit my hand so well and decided to try to save the bow.

I removed the sinew wraps, put the bows back on my belt sander and went to work. When I had the bows back flat, I carefully cut a piece of bamboo to fit it. I glued the bamboo on the bow adding 3" of reflex. After re-tillering I couldn't believe what a great shooter my ailing bow had become.

This BBO has been my favorite bow for the last 3 years.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 11:24:24 am by Eric Krewson »