Author Topic: Great Lakes Cherry burl pipe  (Read 7310 times)

Offline IsaacW

Great Lakes Cherry burl pipe
« on: May 29, 2012, 11:05:02 am »
I have been carving a little cherry burl for pipes.  These are based on some burl, Indian made pipes from the great lakes.  The bowls are lined with pewter (although I got a poor pour on the beaver pipe)...

Isaac
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Great Lakes Cherry burl pipe
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 11:09:18 am »
Very nice,I like that a lot.Sweet. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 11:34:20 am »
That's beautiful material you got there.  How does it carve?  Where do you get your pewter?  Very nice work sir.  Josh

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 12:24:58 pm »
It doesn't carve too bad at all (don't tell my knuckle that got bit by the knife).  Wood, of course, is different than stone.  I carved this while it was still a bit green.  I have a chunk that is getting drier and I am afraid it will be a bit harder to carve. 

For pewter, I have gotten some lead-free pewter from some online vendors that sell it to mold for pewter spoons, buttons, etc. for reenactors.  I also have used lead-free solder that is used for plumbing water lines.

Isaac
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 07:13:48 pm »
mighty fine handiwork there isaac
nice, very nice pipes
wild women don't get the blues

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 10:08:01 am »
Very nice pipes.  Wouldn't mind one of my very own.  Does the pewter enhance the smoke?  Make it a cooler draw?  Curious, have never seen a wooden pipe lined.  Very cool, nevertheless!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 11:24:05 am »
Very nice pipes.  Wouldn't mind one of my very own.  Does the pewter enhance the smoke?  Make it a cooler draw?  Curious, have never seen a wooden pipe lined.  Very cool, nevertheless!

Not sure on the enhancing qualities as I have not smoked any of these yet.  I suppose it mainly increases longevity as the burl will less likely burn (although not a treatment seen in European burl pipes).  Anyway, all of the Indian pipes I have seen like this had pewter (some lead... not so healthy) lining or a lining of scrap brass/tin that was cut and beat to shape.

Isaac
Aldo Leopold

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 01:07:15 am »
Thanks for the info. Isaac. Once again, nice work.  Josh

Offline agd68

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 08:57:32 am »
I wonder if these shiny metal linings may have been a cosmetic/status thing verses a function thing.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 11:12:18 am »
I wonder if these shiny metal linings may have been a cosmetic/status thing verses a function thing.

Very possible and you see this being done as inlays on other parts of pipes as well.  My only questioning point would be why pour the whole bowl and not just the more visible and easy to pour top?  Pouring the bowl and getting it to go all the way around and in the bottom is a pain.  ::)

IW
Aldo Leopold

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 06:32:57 pm »
I think I just saw these over on the Hysterical Trekker website!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 09:11:46 pm »
I have made pipes out of soapstone and catlinite,but I have yet to make one out of burl wood I am going to try it.They are both very nice I like the effigy pipe.

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 09:14:00 pm »
Have you ever made pipe stems out of white stag sumac.

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 10:55:07 am »
Historical trekkers yup... and the Frontier Folk board.

Stems... I used to use sumac a ton.  Good stuff but generally for a bigger softer stem.  For smaller stems, I really like viburnum (have used old broken arrow shafts of it even  :) ) and dogwood.   

Isaac
Aldo Leopold

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 11:06:47 am »
Very nice work!
1’—>1’