Author Topic: black cherry/hickory ewb  (Read 3111 times)

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
black cherry/hickory ewb
« on: August 22, 2012, 12:22:48 pm »
anybody ever try a hickory backed black cherry ewb? correct me if i'm wrong but the compression strength of the black cherry should go well the tension strength of the hickory and make a sweet shooting bow. i'm shooting for about 90# at 32" do you think that tb3 would be a good choice for the glueup?
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline RyanY

Re: black cherry/hickory ewb
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 12:48:15 pm »
I did a hickory backed black cherry with a purple heart core at 100#@32". The black cherry suffered terrible compression fractures. If black cherry can make a heavier bow my guess is that the backing needs to be thin and probably a little trapped with the belly being flat otherwise I don't think it's dense enough to hold up. A rawhide backing might be a better option.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 01:30:35 pm »
do you think i would be better off just using solid hickory? i have no experiance with these heavier weights like this ( above 75# ) thanks,

Duck
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 01:37:13 pm by killir duck »
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline RyanY

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 02:10:18 pm »
Yes I have made a couple solid hickory warbows and have seen others. It will definitely stand up to the heavy weights.

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 05:36:41 pm »
Cherry has only worked for me with wide flat limbs. Anything else has chrysalled horribly. Tiller has to be perfect, too. Not ideal wood for a heavy EWB, IMHO. I also think hickory would over power the cherry badly, making it chrysal worse.