Author Topic: Two Fletch orientation?  (Read 6305 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Two Fletch orientation?
« on: July 10, 2012, 10:18:01 am »
For you that shoot 2 fletch arrows, how do you orient the fletching to get the best clearence?

Offline Alaric

Re: Two Fletch orientation?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 11:00:03 am »
I wouldn’t think it would mater that much, I shoot 3 feather arrows but don’t use a cock feather and don’t pay any attention to arrow orientation when nocking an arrow (a habit I picked up speed shooting) and I have never noticed a difference in how the arrow leaves the bow.

Richard

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 11:15:40 am »
I am going to disagree on that Richard.  With a two fletch, if you would have the quill of the feather facing into the window, would it not make contact?

Offline Alaric

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 11:22:09 am »
Yes, as it does when I nock a 3 fletch arrow with the cock feather facing the window, the nice thing about feathers is they will just push down against the shaft and then spring back up once past the obstacle, vanes might cause a problem.  Try one and see what happens.

Richard

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 07:19:41 pm »
These are tied on so that they are parallel with the string when the arrow is nocked. I just made my first ones over the weekend and I am SOLD on them! I used tail feathers. They fly better than eveything else I have, and I can't hear them at all!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 08:33:45 am by Tom Leemans »

Offline randman

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 04:21:57 pm »
This is how I do mine. They fly excellent. In fact I prefer them over the 3 fletch and they are easier to make. I like the turkey secondary feathers (I think they are also called shields) for this reason. Works great with duck (and probably chicken or crow) feathers also.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 09:06:25 am »
I would imagine that the secondaries would be quieter, just like the tail feathers. The softer edge keeps them from hissing through the air. Now if only we could harvest owl feathers...

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 10:47:13 am »
Jim Neaves (Centaur Archery) did an excellent tutorial on 2 fletch arrows a short time ago. I can no longer find the link. If I remember correctly he recommmended right wing orientation for right hand shooters and vice versa for left hand shooters. 
Attach the cock feather to clear the arrow shelf and then remove the shaft from the jig and flip it 180 degreees to fletch the other side. you don't rotate the nock reciever position only the shaft.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 12:41:15 pm »
randman - I believe I'll wrap the upper end of my next ones like you did.

Offline randman

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 03:06:34 pm »
Yes Tom, they are very quiet and also soft on the hand if you shoot off the hand. I always get snagged if I don't wear a glove when shooting commercial 3 fletch. I always have to wrap those with thread or floss or something (or wear a glove).
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.