Author Topic: Good, Bad and Ugly  (Read 2810 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Good, Bad and Ugly
« on: July 13, 2012, 01:06:18 am »
First, the good.  This was a little thin spall off the edge of a cobble.  Very little flint in it.  I was sure it wouldn't make a point.  When I was half done I was sure I'd never get all the coretex off that one side.  But I'll be darned if it didn't come out real nice.

The bad.  Brought a cobble of this stuff home from Cross Plains, I think they called it Pappy-ite.  I had a nice preform going and like a dope I tried to thin one end.  Turned out one side was real chalky, probably wouldn't have made a point no matter what.  Still I liked working it.

And the ugly...  This is the base of that broken dalton preform.  I had a nice sized point almost done when I stepped it badly.  Kept working it, breaking off the tip, making it narrower.  Had a heck of a time trying to thin it.  It's ugly...almost didn't post a picture.  Same flint as the top point, didn't come out as well.

Nice to hit the rock for awhile.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Good, Bad and Ugly
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 07:02:13 am »
At least your making them George and not breaking too many. That top one is gonna get a deer i think - nice point! bottom one's not too shabby either. Too bad on the pappyite..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 08:43:41 am »
Read the title and started hearing the music for the movie :D

Looks like the first worked out real well and the second scenario is very familiar to me.

Good points

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline chertle

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 09:30:08 pm »
George!!!!  I think even the ugly one is nice :P Sorry that the other one broke!!  Hopefully you can make a couple of small points out of it! ;) Glad ya got to spend some time in the pit!!!
Leslie
Indiana

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 01:19:16 am »
Thanks.  I got a little bit of time out there  again tonight.  Picked up this cobble:

It had a bad spot right in the center and broke in half, but I got a couple spalls I can use and still have a chunk left to play with.  I took the other large piece and made a point, but didn't keep it as large as I'd hoped. :(

Here's what's left to play with tomorrow.  Not sure what that red stuff in it is, but it is sure hard to drive a flake through.

I'm having fun with this raw rock, but one of these days I need to heat treat some.  It'd be nice not to have to swing so hard.  Still lots of fun. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 01:52:26 pm »
Great Job G!  You got to the title before me, I was going to title my next post something similar.  >:(  ;D  Liken that last point you made.  I hope to post some from the gratz pit later today or tomorrow.  Again, great job, dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 02:27:30 pm »
Thanks, sorry for stealing the title. :-[  This morning when I was supposed to be working I took that top left spall and worked it.  The little dip was a flaw and I was able to easily knock off the whole end of it.  In the end I got a little bird point.

Really humid today, wish the dry season would get here, though the low(er) temps are nice.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 03:47:31 pm »
Thumbs Up G!  I know what you mean about "supposed to be working".  I'm working on my resume' update and keep stopping in here between processes.  :o  I can't even bring myself to look out the window @ the pit.  "Dry season"?  Shoot, I'd give the first joint off my left pingky finger for two weeks of rain!  We got a little this morning, though.  Nice point, dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 01:38:51 am »
Yea, I mowed a little of the lawn today, but for the most part I was a bum.  My hog hunt got rained out tonight so I went back out to the shop.  It was more good news...bad news.  I spotted a spall  with some nice color in it, but it was so thin on the sides that I wasn't left with much width.  Still, I like the color in it.

Then I found a nice piece of heated coral from Eddie.  I had a real nice point going...right up until I knocked off the tip.  Grrr. >:(

Looks like it'll end up a short, fat point...like the knapper. ::)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 09:42:51 am »
Nice colorful points there George! Rain? What ya talkin bout? It's so dry out here that little dust clouds rise when ya walk across the yard. We were surrounded by heavy clouds several days in a row but nary a drop :(.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 10:32:02 am »
We got a little over a half inch last night. It didn't rain all that long but it was really coming down. It was headed your way, must've pooped out before it got there.

George
St Paul, TX

Stringman

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 04:40:17 pm »
Nice looking rocks there George! You're about to inspire me to hit the pit myself. Might have to go see what happens.  ;)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 07:20:40 pm »
Thanks, post up some pictures.  My wife took a nap this afternoon...leaving me free to run to the shop.  I took a big chunk of keokuk from Bevin (the last one :'() and I should have gotten a much larger point than I ended up with.  Had some step problems and by the time I got them sort-of under control I ended up with a hunting weight point, 157gr.  It's sort-of Dalton-ish.

But, it had a big hump on the base of the other side.  I knocked a flute off so it wasn't so fat.

Didn't look that much like a Dalton so I didn't post it over there, but I like it.  Plan to put it on an arrow for sure.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline seider

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 07:26:15 pm »
Good looking points there G love the rain i was going to go do alittle hog hunting myself this afternoon but it is still raining here.  Out buy cp i dont know how much they got there we have got 1/2" now today and last week with the rains we got 1 1/2"  we are getting lucky now.  Me and my boy were headed to the pond to do som fishing when it started I had my knapping kit and some rock I was going to let him fish while i hit some rocks. 
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 07:33:46 pm »
Boy that sounds fun, takin a boy fishing while you knapp. :)  Wonderful temps this afternoon with the clouds overhead, would be good fishing.  Sounds like you got more rain than we did.  We're probably around an inch for the 2 storms.  Down by Houston I think they got a lot more.  I had to break from rock work as the A/C was out in the house and a friend who works on them came over and found both the compressor and the heat exchanger in the furnace frozen up solid.  He's coming back after they play softball, probably kill my hog hunting again tonight.  O well, there's always tomorrow...and I can head for the shop. ;D

George
St Paul, TX