Author Topic: Backing......Schmaking  (Read 5212 times)

Offline bow101

Backing......Schmaking
« on: July 12, 2012, 01:11:52 am »
Seriously what is the strongest and/or best backing to use. And no i do want to use snake skin or Sinew..!
I have already broke 2 wood Laminated bows and i do not want to make it a 3rd.
The first one was really sweet. I figured it out, I was aggresivley exercising it to soon. The bending in the limbs was looking awesome so i thought i could pull it to 28 inches, She Snaped.

THe one i just finished is bending to much in the handle, have more work and tweaking before i get it bending the way i want. :)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 01:19:56 am by bow101 »
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Backing......Schmaking
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 01:18:10 am »
Hickory.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bow101

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 01:20:55 am »
Hickory sounds Awesome. I guess Boo would do as well........ :)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 03:25:48 am »
The best bow backing is the layer of wood right under the bark or under the sapwood....depending on the type of wood.... but that's just my own preference.  ;D :P
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 04:27:14 am »
You should forget about 'what is the best/strongest backing'. The important thing is that the fibers aren't cut through. Your bows will most likely have snapped due to violated fibers. The most important rule awhen making bows is that the wood fibers on the bows back should be uncut for the full length of the bow.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 08:30:22 am »
I think you also prob had some tiller issues that you were unaware of to your novice eye. The strongest backing wont save a poorly tillered bow. You must pull down inch by inch and only go the next inch till everything looks good at the previous inch.

And maybe try a selfbow for your first couple tries lo learn how to tiller...youll waste less time,and its less chances of something going wrong....doing glue ups just adds to the difficulty. Keep it simple at first. And start out with straight side profiles. What profile have you been trying to make?

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 09:17:15 am »
Blackhawk's right.  Work on self bows to learn the craft.  It forces you to get your tiller right, which is maybe 90% of the equation.  You will also halve your construction time.  I made a half dozen or more self bows before I attempted a backed bow, when I first started.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 09:34:54 am »
The back of a well-tillered bow...then add linen. >:D
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 10:39:59 am »
Air on a good stave.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline jimmy

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 10:52:48 am »
I recently made an unbacked maple board bow. I will post it in a few days. Backing is not needed if you choose a good piece of wood and the limbs bend right.  You'll see what I mean on this board bow.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 10:58:06 am »
Get a nice straight grained board. Red oak or hickory will do nicely and follow the directions on my site. Resist the temptation to add a handle piece or a wood backing. Noe of that is needed.  If  you want I will continue with some additional advice if you decide to go that route. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/index.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 12:19:53 pm »
Air on a good stave.

Dang.  That's genius.    8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 01:08:33 pm »
   Fisrt thing is thow away the board and get a stave. Anyone that says a board bows as good as a stave bows is way off. Not saying you can't build a bow from a board 1000's are build every year. Second it's not the wood so much as something else your doing in design or tillering. But it may be the boards gain your buying. BACHING MIGHT STOP YOUR BOW FROM BREAKING. But with being said.  You'll just end up with a lot of set and string follow. I'd bet it's in your tillering get a stave and slow downnnnnnnnnnnnnn. This may not be good avise to some but it's the best I have.
  But it you must have a backing get raw hide or a hickory slat. But it's just another step in bow building you don't have to do. A plain selfbows not hard to build.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline jimmy

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 02:30:38 pm »
Board bows can be as good.  Tim baker proves this time and again.  I will prove it when I post my latest maple bow in a few days.  This is not a "way off" opinion.  I usually work with osage because it grows everywhere where I live, but I wanted to see for myself how good I could do with a board.  For any new bowyer out there, buy a board, cut a tree, it's all wood.  Bottom line, you don't need backing and you don't even need a stave split from a tree. 

Offline bow101

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 04:34:48 pm »
I'am not saying that Backing will prevent the Stick from breaking. Just looking for that added insurance.
As far as previous breakage goes, like i said i was been a liitle hasty, not taking the time to tiller properly.
I think blackhawk hit it on the nose..
If this next laminated bow breaks I will try a board bow or a Tri-Lam. These last 3 bows are made from 5 lams, maple core. .400 stack