Author Topic: wood question  (Read 2218 times)

Offline 0209

wood question
« on: July 12, 2012, 01:05:53 pm »
Have any of you ever heard of jobillo or worked with it.  I came across a piece a while back and it looked great, and was dense as a brick of lead.  I didn't pick it up because I had no idea whether or not it would work, thus I am asking you all on here.
Thanks for the help.

-Ian
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training is austere conditions with minimal food and water. He doesn't worry about what workout to do.his ruck weighs what it weighs and his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. Only he knows the cause. Still want to Quit?
-Unknown

Offline crooketarrow

Re: wood question
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 01:11:05 pm »
 I'm  in a shell here, I've never heard of it. But you should have gottten it and try it out.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 01:16:14 pm »
I have a small board of it,but i use it for overlays n such...but yes it is pretty heavy,dense,and also pretty oily stuff. Id try it for a bow if the grain was right(mines swirly),but a board of it wont be cheap,and im sure theres better wood available to you to use thats a proven wood and cheaper/free.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 01:57:57 pm »
Never heard of it before, but a Google search tells me it is very closely related to Goncalo Alves, also known as tigerwood. Run a search for those terms and you should be able to find some references about it.
While some consider jobillo a different species within the genus of Astronium than goncalo alves, some consider it the same species. The species are hard to distinguish though, so it may not even matter that much. A dense piece of goncalo alves may well be jobillo.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 02:51:42 pm »
Like we used to say in the old days... Looks like you volunteered to be the first!