Author Topic: Salmon of Knowledge  (Read 2386 times)

Offline arklowrebel

Salmon of Knowledge
« on: July 20, 2012, 02:54:12 pm »
After making my first bow recently for my son (http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,33085.msg436735.html#msg436735), I decided to follow Pat B.'s urging's and make one for myself.  I absolutely expected it to break the first time I drew it, but thanks to the great advice from lots of excellent bowyers in postings here, I managed to get it to the point where I have put a couple of hundred arrows through it with no problems.

I just loved Dauntless' brilliant yew, sinew and salmon bow (https://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=33077.0) and I took some inspiration from it.  I will post some pics of the end product below.

Anyway, it is ash backed with rawhide with salmon skin on top (got lucky there in that the local fish processing company produces salmon fillets and were happy to give me some terrific salmon skins that would otherwise have been thrown out).  I used dog treats for the rawhide and scraps of bones that our dog had been gnawing on for the nock overlays.  The bow came in at 50# @ 28".  It has some string follow (possibly because I put too short a string on it initially.  It is 74" NTN.

The ash originally had a lot of propellor twist and retained some even after my efforts at toasting the belly and clamping it.  Despite that fact it still shoots nicely and I am very happy with it.

I'd love to hear any criticisms that the great bowyers on here might have in the hope that my next effort will be better.

Finally, I should add that I named it "An Bradan Feasa" (Irish for the "Salmon of Knowledge": a mythical Irish fish) because it is backed with salmon skin and I picked up a lot lot of knowledge from you guys while I was making it.

Cheers!

Offline arklowrebel

Re: Salmon of Knowledge
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 02:57:05 pm »
Here it is braced ...

Offline arklowrebel

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 03:01:12 pm »
more ...

Offline arklowrebel

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 03:01:56 pm »
and more ...

Offline arklowrebel

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 03:04:19 pm »
.. and more ...

Offline Weylin

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 03:47:53 pm »
Wow! :o That's really beautiful for a first bow! You're gonna be good at this, I can tell. It is hard to judge the tiller because of the angle of the full draw picture. I'm looking forward to seeing your next one.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 05:14:10 pm »
Sliante', Arklowrebel.  Nice bow, congratulations on a well done job. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 05:23:14 pm »
really nice work and a striking looking bow, enjoy shooting it, you did a top notch job.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline LivingElemental

• Appalachi/Wataugi/East Tennessee
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 05:27:21 pm »
Very nice. And welcome to the most mind-consuming hobby you've ever had.
Alzamaal illi yadour 'ala qurnayn fakhira, yarja' idhana maqtu'a.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 06:06:48 pm »
Nice job, Ark!! Cool 1st bow, for sure!! 8)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline coaster500

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 06:33:26 pm »
First and definitely not the last, nice job !!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)