Author Topic: patchwork bendy handle  (Read 4168 times)

Stringman

patchwork bendy handle
« on: July 11, 2012, 02:03:33 pm »
Ok I wasn't gonna show this one cause I thought the tiller looked way off. But after putting it on John's tiller wall it doesn't look as bad. So, here tis...

I had a little scrap of osage that looked like it might make a kids bow, but after some initial shapin I realized there was more there than I thought. Never tried a bow this short so I wasnt sure how it would come out, but once again I was suprised how little hedge it takes to make a bow. This bow is 53" tip to tip and draws comfortably 45# @ 27. I flipped the tips and added the walnut/cherry/hickory lamination for color. Then pulled a couple pieces of copperhead and some timber rattler scraps out and glued them on. Finally, I filled the middle in with a dark rat snake skin.

Your critique is welcome, cause this is uncharted water for me.

Scott

Offline LivingElemental

• Appalachi/Wataugi/East Tennessee
Re: patchwork bendy handle
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 02:20:50 pm »
That is an insane bend on that little guy. Looks phenomenal. I enjoy it.
Alzamaal illi yadour 'ala qurnayn fakhira, yarja' idhana maqtu'a.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 02:22:24 pm »
I think you navigated those waters very nicely. ;D
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 02:26:03 pm »
cool bow! i love the way those limbs streighten out
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline dwardo

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 02:31:29 pm »
Tiller looks better than it should be!  >:D

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 03:12:11 pm »
Wow, nice bow, Stringler!  I really like that crazy thing.  What's the stats on it?  When can I shoot it?!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Stringman

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 03:22:41 pm »
Thanks all for the kind words! I am nowhere near as proficient with this design, but had a lot of fun building it. I have been shooting it in and will try to go get some updated stat info on it this afternoon (may get the wife to shoot a full draw pic too.)

Jaydub, if you wanna drive on over, I'd bout near letcha take it home wi'ya.  ;)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 06:51:11 pm »
That's what I call a nice "scrap bow!"  ;D
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Stringman

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 06:52:35 pm »
Here's a few different shots. Maybe the outdoor scenery will make it look better.  :)

I just remeasured and it is still pullin 45# @ 27" and it is 53" overall length.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 07:07:18 pm »
Hey you posted it great! I got to shoot this bow and it has get fps and matched the speed of many of the bows we built over the weekend.  It was a lot of fun to shoot. If I drive over first can I take it home....wait.... wait... I forgot you just gave me an awesome bow this weekend. Scott  sure can pump out the bows.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 12:27:38 am »
That is a very beautiful bow!!!!  Your full draw shot shows a craftsmans eye for tiller.

Cody

All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 12:35:33 am »
What a great little bow. It doesn't take much osage to make a bow!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 12:52:03 am »
There was some serious tillering going on with that one.  Great job.  That's a snakey bow in every way! ;)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 01:25:19 am »
Man that bow came out sweet!! Some bend on that "scrap."  I love everything about that bow.. And the different colors and patterns of the skins with te different. Colors on the tips is sinfully nice to the eyes... I may just beat JW up there :o

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Stringman

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 11:12:13 am »
Man that bow came out sweet!! Some bend on that "scrap."  I love everything about that bow.. And the different colors and patterns of the skins with te different. Colors on the tips is sinfully nice to the eyes..

Thanks buddy, and thanks for your contribution to this bow. I think you just named it for me...
"Scrappy!"