Author Topic: Preparing beaver tails for grips  (Read 1253 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Preparing beaver tails for grips
« on: July 12, 2012, 01:42:11 pm »
Any good tips for preparing raw beaver tails for grip material? Are they treated like snakes? Skin, flesh, pin and air dry? 
Thanks all
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

Re: Preparing beaver tails for grips
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 01:47:14 pm »
 :laugh:  :laugh:  ;D....ill tell ya if ya give me one..lol ;D

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 02:10:12 pm »
  Yes just like snake skins. Taned works good also but it's really easy to pull through your holes when tieing on. I tie my handle matteral on really tight. I do this After I punch my holes I cut a thin leather strip around a inch wide same leanth as your handles.  Super glue it to where your holes are punched. Glue it down let dry. Repuch the holes throught the leather. This really helps with the holes tearing out. Soke the handle to it's really plyable I like useing the fake sinew for tieing. With exture leather you can really stretch for handle materal tight. I have put tight bond on the skin before I tied it on. But when the skins stretched really tight you really don't have to add the tight bond.
  If you have any extures skins I've got lots of things to trade or will buy them.
  I had a guy here no WVSPORTSMAN THAT WAS GOING TO SELL ME A FEW. BUT WE HAD MAJOR STORMS 2 weeks ago
 some county still are with out power. He just emailed me the other day and he had'nt had powere for 9 days and lost everything in this fridge and frezzers. I'm down to one so I'll take all you can give me if you have any. Or anyone else, any trappers this fall PM ME if you'd like to sell or rid of what you have.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 02:38:06 pm »
They are a pain.  Good luck with it
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left